Olive Egger - Isbar x BCM

i actually already posted pictures of my only current isbar/marans cross (the blue girl on the previous page) -- the others i have are her offspring, three pullets (two blacks, one blue), all fathered by a pure isbar -- so they are 3/4 isbar 1/4 marans. i can take photos if you're interested, but they mostly just look like isbars. only one is laying yet, her eggs are a lovely avocado green.

Oh yeah forgot those were yours. How about some egg pics then? :)

Hmm just saw @gimmie birdies post in the olive-egger thread that she got a brown egg from an Isbar Marans cross. I got a brown egg the other day that was an odd shape that I'd never seen from any of my current layers but thought it couldn't possibly have come from one of my olive eggers since they are Isbar Marans cross but it appears to be a possibility. It didn't seem small enough to be a "first egg" but it did seem a little smaller than normal but that just could be the odd shape that makes it look smaller. I should weigh it. That will be a bummer if it came from one of them. I have two more girls so I better get some olive eggs. The Isbars were from Green Fire so I would think any that they sell would be pure bred Isbars.

Oh yeah forgot those were yours. How about some egg pics then? :)

yes! here's a photo i just took:

campine on the left, then pure isbar, then 3/4-isbar-1/4-marans in center, then my 1/2-isbar-1/2-marans cross, then pure marans on the right. the camera's coloring is a little bit too warm due to the lighting, but that's pretty close.

Last edited:
I posted this pic in the olive egger thread as well. I have another pullet that started laying yesterday. The eggs weighed in at 58g and 61g. Crazy big for first eggs. But at least they are olive. I hope the last one is olive too. I haven't figured out yet which ones are laying what. These are the 4 eggs I've gotten so far from the olive eggers.

The person I got the hatching eggs from said that her chickens were from Green Fire Farms first imports. She mentioned having one Isbar that was laying white eggs and she culled her. Only explanation is those imports aren't carrying two green egg genes. Hopefully their second imports are better. Seems there were a lot of complaints about the first ones.

Here's a better pic of the olive eggs, taken with a real camera, in a light tent and a grey card so the color is accurate. I think there's still one not laying yet. I think I want to try crossing with my blue and green easter eggers but don't have room for more chickens right now. :(

Here's a better pic of the olive eggs, taken with a real camera, in a light tent and a grey card so the color is accurate. I think there's still one not laying yet. I think I want to try crossing with my blue and green easter eggers but don't have room for more chickens right now. :(

yes, those look a lot like mine from my isbar/marans cross! yay!

My blue olive eggers are just the cutest things. Even when they are soaking wet. We've had higher than normal rainfall for the past 5 months in a row. Just put down some straw for them this weekend and they are loving playing in it. I hope it lasts for a little while before it turns back to mud. This is Shylo with her neck feathers all fluffed out.

I have a BS Isbar hen and a BCM hen and have thought about getting a Isbar rooster to put with them. I wasn't sure what I would get with the BCM hen and a Isbar rooster but now I am excited to see what happens.

I bred my blue Isbar Rooster to my Black Copper Maran last fall because I was curious about egg color. The hen was a blue and just layed her first egg at 5 months this past week.
I am not too impressed with the color, but it did satisfy my curiosity :) Here is a picture of the result.
The darker egg above was her first egg. She layed me five eggs in five days and the last egg was the lighter one on the left.

Back
Top Bottom