Olive Egger laying small, cream coloured eggs??!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by six_eclectic_chickens, Sep 30, 2012.

1. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    We bought a chicken in the late spring that was supposedly a cross between a Cuckoo Maran and an Ameraucana. We can definitelty see the Ameraucana in her butwe can only take the seller's word for the other half. She is just reaching the age where she should start laying. Yesterday, I caught her in the nest of one of our other chickens; a columbian wyandotte. (The wyandotte lays small cream coloured eggs). I went outside about 15 minutes later to check. We were all excited, wanting to see what the eggs were like. When I opened the door, she was half standing over a small, cream coloured egg with a slight pinkish tint.The egg was warm, though it felt like it had been sitting there for a few minutes. The egg looked like the ones the wayndotte lays, but slightly more elongated. How can a chicken that should lay olive green eggs, whose ancestors layed dark brown and blue eggs, lay an egg that is almost white?! Will colour arrive over time? There is a possibility the egg is from the wyandotte, and so far there has never been two of these eggs in the spot. I don't know what to think. Do any of you have experience with an olive or easter egger laying eggs like these?

-utterly bemused

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    What kind of comb does she have...straight or pea comb?..pea comb = colored eggs...straight comb = all shades of brown....theres a 3% chance I believe that a straight comb could POSSIBLY lay a colored egg...if she is laying those that is the color egg she will have for life..

3. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    It is a pea comb. So hopefully the eggs are from the wyandotte

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Must be then...maybe your girl was just practicing and rewarming the nest!

5. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    Interesting info about the pea comb/straight comb thing sonew - Thanks! (Learn something new here all the time!)

Wade

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. Rezia

Rezia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Interesting information! That'll help when I get my olive eggers in.
    Rezia

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    It's a bit tricky to maintain an olive egger. You cannot mate olive egger to olive egger and get olive eggs.... You'll get brown eggs... If you have an olive egger hen that lays super dark green eggs you'll need to mate her to a brown egg producing roo... The resulting chicks will lay a green color but not as dark as moms ... You then take those chicks and mate back to a dark olive egg layer ... You have to play with the colors every generation to maintain the olive colorations... Best cross for great olive eggers... Marans x ameraucanas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by