Olive Egger, pullet or cockerel?

900x900px-LL-0f50d332_P1240230.jpeg

Be more worried about the white bird here....that's a rooster if it is 8 weeks of age (that's how much an 8 week old rooster would be developed, single combed)...but your black bird still looks pullet to me. The back has a bit of pointiness on some feathers, but I think it is coloring as most are clearly hen rounded. Comb is all hen thus far.

LofMc

Last edited:
Yes I know that one is a rooster -- I've been trying to find a home for him. He's very pretty, but can't have a rooster. Really hoping you're right about Freda. I don't need TWO roosters I'm not allowed to have!

Well,I'm not sure there is much hope left, lol.. I think Freda is a Fred.
hmm.png
He/she is gigantic compared to my pullets that are within a couple weeks in age. The feet are huge. The comb is getting bigger and redder. I am not good at looking at feathers etc but now that I am looking at these photos, aren't those saddle feathers? Will be 10 weeks old on Sunday. Should I call it a loss? I have a home interested if it is a rooster.. I don't want to wait too long in case they find something else in the mean time.. No crowing yet though. Gaah I hate not knowing!

Well, the verdict is in... Freda is a Freddy. Look at those saddle feathers. He is going to his new home this Sunday. And not too soon.. He follows at my heels, too scared to attack me, but I can tell he wants to... If I reach out, he nails me. Little jerk.

Thanks so much for this thread! We also have a questionable Olive Egger and since they are so mixed, it has been hard to find comparables. Ours is a Wheaten and looks nothing like your lovely boy, but the updated pictures of the pea comb and saddle pictures have been incredibly useful for us.

I'm sorry for your loss! All of your birds are so lovely looking. 5/6 cockerels are horrible stats
hmm.png
(3 of our 6 NOT straight run birds have been boys, so we feel your pain).

Back
Top Bottom