Olive egger question

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
okay, from the olive egger thread I got curious about something.

I have an EE x Marans egg in my inc, I hope hope hope it hatches!
smile.png

If it does, and if it's a hen and lays olive eggs, if I hatch any of her resulting offspring will they too lay olive eggs?

thanks!
big_smile.png

I have an EE x Marans egg in my inc, I hope hope hope it hatches!

If it does, and if it's a hen and lays olive eggs, if I hatch any of her resulting offspring will they too lay olive eggs?

It is possible but there are many variables. If the EE bird carries two blue egg genes, which it might not, when crossed with a dark egg layer it will usually give olive eggs. Those olive egg layers will then only carry one blue egg gene which they could pass on to an offspring. The blue egg gene is so close to the locus for pea comb/not pea comb that one can often tell which birds will have inherited the blue egg gene because those birds will also have a pea comb.​

smile.png
ha!! i am doing the same thing!!! i have my maran rooster in with maran girls of course, and 2 ameracaunas..
i have hatched only one egg, it looks like it has the cuckoo pattern with poofy cheeks.. and if it a girl that lays dark green eggs,, it will be the bird i am trying to get,,, the first chick!!!!
i do have more in the incubator... i cant wait!!!
i should get a picture.. but it is going throught the "uglies" right now

I always heard that whatever color the mothers egg color is, is what the chick will lay. So far I found found that to be true. My brahma rooster and EE's chicks lay green eggs. While my EE rooster, and my brahma hen chicks lay brown eggs. Even though they are the same breeds. lol

I always heard that whatever color the mothers egg color is, is what the chick will lay. So far I found found that to be true.

That must have been due to coincidence. If one puts a proper araucana male on a leghorn female the eggs will be blue (or green). (assuming the male is carrying the correct genes for the breed) The fact that the possible carrier of the blue egg genes is one of the EE birds makes the outcome rather less reliable. I gather EE birds are not a proper breed & can carry all manner of genes.

My brahma rooster and EE's chicks lay green eggs. While my EE rooster, and my brahma hen chicks lay brown eggs. Even though they are the same breeds. lol

Again coincidence. the blue egg gene is autosomal thus the sex of the bird carrying the gene makes no difference. Presumably your EE hen(s) carries at least one blue egg gene & maybe your EE cockerel does not carry any blue egg gene or only one blue egg gene & by chance you have yet to hatch any chicks which have inherited this gene.​

Back
Top Bottom