1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Olive Egger Rooster - useful or useless??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grasjm36, Mar 4, 2012.

1. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    I don't really know where to post this....

I have one BEAUTIFUL olive egger roo and I'm not sure if I can breed him with any hen for a fun olive egg laying chicken, or will they be just brown egg laying chickens. I do understand that to get an olive egger you must cross a copper marans roo with a ee hen, but is there another way?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Genetics is not my strong suit, but EEs are a mutt chicken that can have different birds in the mix to achieve the same result. (A couple of my EEs have OEGB in them based on their size, posture and build. I am so sure of it that I would stake money on it.)

One of the things I have heard about EE roos is that in order to establish whether they are carrying the colored egg gene you look at their combs. An EE roo with a rose comb has a markedly better chance of carrying the blue gene than a bird with any other type of comb. The blue egg gene sits near the rose comb gene on the genome, so they are usually found together. Not always, but usually.

What kind of comb does your guy have?

3. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    A rose comb. :)

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Looks like you have a keeper. [​IMG]

5. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    Isn't it a pea comb?

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I get them confused. Yes, it's a pea comb. Thinking of Wyandottes while posting about EEs. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by