Olivia and Ophelia Orpington

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
Yesterday I put the chicks out to play in my raised garden bed that I covered with chicken wire so they can play in there until I plant some lettuce and spinach. Which I better do in the next few days!!

Here are Olivia and Ophelia looking for bugs.

100908FindingbugsinGardenemail.jpg

Ophelai is the darker of the two. Olivia still has mostly chick fluff. But the feathers that are coming in on her wings are a lighter color than Ophelia's feathers. I wonder, if they will stay two different shades? That will make them easier to for me to tell apart.

Any of you with Buff Orpingtons do they have different shades? I assume they must.

Here is a good photo of Princess Ophelia
100908Opheliaemail.jpg

Aw, Princess Ophelia is saying hello to everybody at BYC for the first time. I'm sure there will be more pictures of her in her future.

Our four Buff Orps look exactly the same except for slight variations in their comb structure. It took me several months after they grew up to figure them out and name them. Good luck!

Yes my chicks have remained slightly different shades. It is easier to tell them apart by their behaviour though. I have one that is extremely innatentive and independent, another that runs, just runs everywhere she goes. One is slightly fluffier, bigger, darker, and prettier.That one also flings food. The behaviour differences seem to be becoming more pronounced as they grow up, mine are now 11 weeks.

Also since I have only 4, and I am home a nd interacting with them a fair bit, feeding and letting them into the garden etc. I see their differences. My husband who is not around them much at all mostly cannot tell.

I can see where personality can be a real factor in telling them apart. I only have four chicks too. The barred Rocks are about identical. But one always is easier to pick up and comes right to me. One of the Orpingtons is forever having to be chased to move her from the coop to the tractor. She has less real feathers, and appears to be lighter in color. As they get older they will definately have more personality traits coming to the surface. Funny my smallest chick, Olivia, is the most aggressive at taking food from the others. She seems to be the first one there when I drop them a grub from the garden. They are so fun to watch!!

I'm having a heck of a time telling my Orpington pullets apart. I know there's sutle differences but that's really with personality more than physical & it's just so tough to get a good handle on who is who.

Here's a picture of 3 of them.

3b156ada-1.jpg

They're all so darling and really they all love being touched & pet. I know if I was spending a lot of time out there with them I'd start to get who is who but seriously just when I think I'm getting it I'll realize I've no clue which is which. Now the Roo....

Back
Top Bottom