Omak Chicken Coop by Dave

very good design well thought out...what did you use for a perch...2x4 cut in half....or is it better to go with just a straight 2x4 or 2x6...still building a couple of coops myself..thanks

very good design well thought out...what did you use for a perch...2x4 cut in half....or is it better to go with just a straight 2x4 or 2x6...still building a couple of coops myself..thanks

I used 2x4 on their side.... wide direction.... folks say the birds can cover their feet with their feathers... necessary when it's around temps that cause frostbite...

good to know im in michigan....brr...cold winters...have you noticed the water nipples for chickens freezing during the winter months or do they not freeze...have some just never installed them

Last edited:
I am back checking in on your progress, things are looking good. I am going to use the same bucket heater as you and thought I would share with you that the word on the street is that the strain relief will rust in short order. Looks ok new and one would think it to be ok, but it has proven to be a ruster in most applications. I am installing mine without the strain relief and not waiting for it to stain the container as others have noted. You most likely are aware of this little 'flaw', but so that others might get a heads up, I am posting it here,

Best to you and your new birds,

RJ

I am back checking in on your progress, things are looking good. I am going to use the same bucket heater as you and thought I would share with you that the word on the street is that the strain relief will rust in short order. Looks ok new and one would think it to be ok, but it has proven to be a ruster in most applications. I am installing mine without the strain relief and not waiting for it to stain the container as others have noted. You most likely are aware of this little 'flaw', but so that others might get a heads up, I am posting it here,

RJ
Are you talking about the spring wire around the power cord?

RJ

I did not know that.... Thanks for the note......

Just cause somethings shiny doesn't mean it's stainless steel, a magnet will pretty quickly tell you...and a little rust in this situation won't hurt much, it's just ugly.

Not only that....... it could provide needed iron.... HAHAHAHAHA.....

I don't know SQUAT about raising chickens... Only what I have read the last 2 year or so.... Research, research... research..... then dive in head first, after figuring which way to go from all the information on this and other sources.... Only hoping I don't screw up too much....

Back
Top Bottom