Omak Chicken Coop by Dave

Quote: My water is full of iron anyway...so a little extra rust doesn't concern me in the least.

You've done a great job and obviously have the smarts and skills to fix what ever you find out doesn't work well....and there's always something that can be improved after you watch it use for awhile.

EVERYTHING I build is a work in progress.... some is even "temporarily permanent".....

I with that wasn't the way things are, but they're the same way around here.

Things get to 'temporary' and then something else is higher priority.

Love it, and you know I love the color! You didnt tell me you were working on this! I would have followed along as much as I could, how cool! Fort Omak! Can I ask for the color name you used? we have a red white blue theme in our back acre and the pool, since its all usa type holidays outback! So my next pallet coop would look awesome that color!

Well done Dave!
bow.gif

I chose solid stain because it doesn't peel, flake or crack.... Great for unpainted wood... On painted stuff, it even works very well... I sprayed it... thin it down and spray away.... Use mineral spirits to thin.... I know... that's not what the directions say due to VOC's and all the new regs... but it works the best... It does stink... could cause the chickens problems... my coop stunk for the first 3 weeks or so... Hot weather came and the volatiles were gone... I only painted the outside... you could use acetone to thin.... evaporates a lot faster..... still flammable as UKW....

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12687266

I think the real retail price is about $24 / gallon...

The code is..... B-2Y26 ... E-5Y20 ... KX-Y ... Victoria Blue......

The original swatch looked almost dark battle ship grey... that's what we wanted.... The color turned out to be EXACTLY what you see on the coop... I even had to have another gallon mixed up because I ran out... came out a good match....

I chose solid stain because it doesn't peel, flake or crack.... Great for unpainted wood... On painted stuff, it even works very well... I sprayed it... thin it down and spray away.... Use mineral spirits to thin.... I know... that's not what the directions say due to VOC's and all the new regs... but it works the best... It does stink... could cause the chickens problems... my coop stunk for the first 3 weeks or so... Hot weather came and the volatiles were gone... I only painted the outside... you could use acetone to thin.... evaporates a lot faster..... still flammable as UKW....

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12687266

I think the real retail price is about $24 / gallon...

The code is..... B-2Y26 ... E-5Y20 ... KX-Y ... Victoria Blue......

The original swatch looked almost dark battle ship grey... that's what we wanted.... The color turned out to be EXACTLY what you see on the coop... I even had to have another gallon mixed up because I ran out... came out a good match....
thanks much kind sir! I love the color, I wouldnt have thought stain would be that perfect! love it! bookmarking for sure!
hugs.gif

My roster is starting to "crow" if you can call it that....... Hens should be laying any day now... Sagittas usually start around 17 weeks.... they are 18 weeks.... Got the "community" nest box arranged with golf balls.....

Roo seems to like the lower perch.... What's up with that !!!!!

I think Roo is encouraging her to swing...... YEP !!!!!! swing away......

OK.... Sooooooooo, my chickens aren't laying eggs.... After looking at my coop and reading stuff.... I decided they don't have enough light.....
Light is important... it triggers "SOME" receptor that gets them to lay... One paper stated. "It is not the eye but a receptor behind the eye that triggers the brain... also, natural daylight wavelengths are very important.." .... or something like that.....
and this was tested on BLIND chickens and it holds true....

So, natural daylight wavelength lights it is..... I found these at HD... a bit expensive, but for 7 years life, it may be worth is... and very low wattage too, but the 440 lumens was the recommended minimum for a coop 12x12'.... my coop is 8x4 so it should work...

...click on pics to enlarge.....

Here is the install..... The article stated, once chickens awaken, they need water within 1 (one) hour.... Well, my lights will have to come on at 1 AM to get the necessary 15 ish hours of "daylight" for them to produce eggs.... And the waterer is in the run.... I am NOT putting feed and water in the coop.... Ain't gonna do it... the "POP" door is always open, so a light was installed to light up the door, ramp and waterer...

And a light was installed at the opposite end of the coop from the nesting boards... in front of the man door and pop door...
I found an "exterior" timer that had 2 outlets for plug ins...

Now it's time to wait.... one article says it will take 4-5 weeks to get the chickens adjusted.. adjust the "daylight" time 20 min per week until you get to optimum 15 ish hours... Since we have 13 hours daylight now, I'm making adjustments to get to 16 hours quickly...

I found a Sunrise/Sunset table and printed it out to get my time table "up and running"...

I am setting the "COME ON" light time 8 hours after "SUNSET" on the chart... that will give the chickens 16 ish hours of daylight... and light "TURN OFF" 10 hours later...regardless of when the sun rises....

Example... sun rise 8 AM and set at 4 PM.... (typical here in the winter) Light ON at MIDNIGHT and OFF at 10 AM... that should cover all the bases....
I sure hope I'm figuring this correctly....

I'd disagree that they need natural light to trigger laying - there are an awful lot of people out there using standard soft white bulbs in coops to extend daylight hours.

That being said, I think daylight bulbs are better for pretty much everything.

Back
Top Bottom