Omega-3 eggs***Fish Meal Feed

O.K. my rememberer wasn't so good! lol! I just went out to feed the chickens again, and that's when I discovered that it wasn't so good!!!
lol.png
th.gif

The container is probably closer to a 2 gallon container, and the free choice layer pellet bowl is probably closer to 1/2 gallon size. However, today, I did feed them 2 of the 2 gallon containers of food (with the seeds, etc.) because it is _45 F. right now and being that our wonderful cold spell has caused the very sturdy door knob to break, and we are still waiting on the right door knob for it (my hubby came home from work at 11:30 last night with the wrong one) so the door is cracked open about 3/4 of an inch, making it much cooler in the coop, (I can't get it all the way closed with the door knob missing) so to help them produce more warmth themselves, I decided to feed a lot to them today.

Also, the scoop I use holds about 2 1/2 cups in it, so when I said 1 part flax seeds, it is about 2 1/2 cups, and on a normal day, they would have gotten only 2 1/2 cups for the day with the exception of today.

I just read in a anoter forum a formula replacing soy with fish fed, with the logical caveat that, although ruminants have several passes through their digestive systems to utilize the soy, our chickens have a single-pass system that benefits from more readily-available protein scources, such as fish meal.

Now, this makes sense to me, but I have some environmental concerns about yet another use for our already depleted ocean denizens. I am hoping maybe I will find that ground flax etc, may be equally beneficial, so this requires some investigation.

The guy who made the post was convinced, (and convincing) that his poultry grew faster, better, healthier and just overall better overall quality --- and size --by as much as 30%! And this is an experienced guy who experimented with differnt feed rations for a long time. He used well-researched resources for his feed ration. I know someoen is going to ask me what it was, so I will be looking it up and will post soon!

The commercial operations use both flax and meal so I'm sure flax would be fine--I have no idea how much you would need to feed to get the omega-3 benefits though.

I just read last night also that fishmeal is superior to flax for omega 3s. I think I will finally go back to the local guy who sells freshly ground mash using fertrell minerals etc. I do not like that the 17% layer does not have fishmeal and I am tired of going thru so much oyster shell, so I will buy the layer and a bag of fish meal from him (he's a Fertrell Dealer) and figure out how much fishmeal to add to bring the protein up to 20%. I think I will also follow another tip, to buy animal protein free (Purina) starter and add Fertrell minerals and fish meal to make a higher protein percent & have them get all they need. I want to feed medicated, but Purina Start and Grow is all I can get & it's protein is too low for my liking. I figure I can mix until 8-12 weeks old and then go to the local 19% grower that has fishmeal. Just thinking out loud.

Hi all,

Here are some of the things that I have read regarding Omega-3.

Flaxseed contains only ALA (Alpha Linolenic Acid)
Certain Oily fish contain EPA (Eicosapentanoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid).

The human body has very low conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA. Some sources believe in the order of 5% conversion, marine life are better at this. I could not find any information referring to chicken omega-3 conversion.

At present most emphesis is placed on EPA and DHA as the benifical omega-3 oily for humans.

Purslane is leafy green that has "usable" levels of Omega-3 and also would contain beta carotene/folate as found in similiar greens. Potential green for those wanting to supplimnet with greens.

I intend to grow purslane for my egg layers this year and feed herring/caplin to my broilers. Both are small fish in the north atlantic that are high in omega-3.

The magazine "Mother Earth News" also had an article regarding "commerical caged" eggs and "free range" eggs. Might be some interest there for some people.

IT is believed for both chickens and cows that free range animials have a better ratio of Omega 3 :Omega 6. One article cited commerical lot raised cattle have a 20:1 omega-6:Omega-3. Free range, grass fed cattle are in the order of single digits for this ratio.

Please keep in mind these are things that I read. I'm not saying they are gospel...

Thanks

You can add a little cod liver oil to the mash once a week ( a roughly tablespoon sized amount sloshed in for 6 chooks). Keep it in the fridge - it makes it hard to remember to add it when it's not with your other chook food ingredients, but then again, it keeps it fresh while it's being forgotten!

I don't do this for young chicks, just growers and adults.

That is interesting about the purslane, mark1guy.

Koi fish food... (the high quality stuff)... It is a little spendy but they don't need much of it... Be careful with flax.... too much is toxic.. No my eggs have never tasted fishy... Extremely economical version... dry cat foot moisened...Does contain some fish meal... and corn etc... They love it.. No my eggs never taste fishy... They taste really good... I have had lots of compliments on flavor.

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/fs002e/fs002e.pdf

I hope this link works... I am posting it in response to someone on the first page..... They listed a bunch of things they feed their chickens... I saw barley and I thought I would post this as not a lot of ppl are aware that barley, though used by some ppl and even manufacturers, is not a good food source for poultry.

Back
Top Bottom