OMG ... biggest egg yet! (pics)

I get a double yolker about once every two weeks. Some, I thought would have to have three they were so big. What is funny is that we had a thunderstorm the other night. I had forgotten to shut the coop door. The next day I only had 6 eggs from 9 hens, but the following day I had 3 double yolkers!! Poor girls must have been scared! :)

well congrats to the proud momma,1 of my girls laid a whopper the other day too but not as fat as yours.Poor baby must of had to stand to lay hers too.lol Where on the island are you from? I left there (nan) 2 years ago for wide open spaces in MB,never looked back.

I'm south of Duncan in a little town called Cobble Hill. I left Nanaimo 3 years ago and never looked back.
I left MB 40 some odd years ago and never looked back. LOL.

well congrats to the proud momma,1 of my girls laid a whopper the other day too but not as fat as yours.Poor baby must of had to stand to lay hers too.lol Where on the island are you from? I left there (nan) 2 years ago for wide open spaces in MB,never looked back.

cobble Hill, cute place ,looks like we just swapped homes.Love the wide openness and no mountains to block out the sun.Land is cheap out here ,even poor folk can buy property.So with that in mind ,why did you move?could it be the tics,mosquitoes,cold winds of winter,just to name a few.lol How long have you been raising chix? I have 7 red sussex for eggs all 1yr and will be getting 50 giant whites for meat in May.butchering the meat birds will be horrific, i'm still a bit citified.

WOW and i thought my Chicken layed large eggs at 68 grams

btw did you weigh yours

and also silkies, cream legbars, Lavender Araucana lay aqua/blue/green eggs too

many others will need to look thats all i can think of

I moved to V.I. when I was 12. My father was in the army and got posted out here.
I remember that I loved playing in the snow and thunder storms in summer.
And yes MOSQUITOES/ FLIES. Don't miss them. LOL.
I've been raising chickens for 3 years ... since moving to the country.
I'm a victim of bad chicken math. I thought 5 or 6 hens would be nice so started with 13. (HUH?)
I now have 19 and haven't a clue where it will end. Just egg layers, because I name them and learn all their individual personalities.
I couldn't do that with meat birds.

cobble Hill, cute place ,looks like we just swapped homes.Love the wide openness and no mountains to block out the sun.Land is cheap out here ,even poor folk can buy property.So with that in mind ,why did you move?could it be the tics,mosquitoes,cold winds of winter,just to name a few.lol How long have you been raising chix? I have 7 red sussex for eggs all 1yr and will be getting 50 giant whites for meat in May.butchering the meat birds will be horrific, i'm still a bit citified.

WOW and i thought my Chicken layed large eggs at 68 grams

btw did you weigh yours

and also silkies, cream legbars, Lavender Araucana lay aqua/blue/green eggs too

many others will need to look thats all i can think of

No I didn't weigh it. I was bragging about the whopper to another local chicken person and she said she had one that was 4 inches long and 7 inches around.
She's got me beat.

OH OH!!!! I think I may know who laid that whopper. I have a really heavy older bird that hadn't been actively laying for some time but started again recently.
Today she was all hunched up in her pen and walking very slowly, her bottom almost dragging on the ground.
I got a look from behind and she looks like a bomb has gone off back there. She is caked with black debris and oozing yellow thick substance.
She may be egg bound with another whopper or has a broken egg inside. We'll probably have to cull her, poor thing.

Hello everyone

I'm very excited - I just picked up my 4 Australorp girls. They are at point of lay so they should be laying in approx 4 weeks time. It will be my first ever egg. I wanted to ask you all "the eggsperts" (pun intended) how do you clean your eggs from pooh and dirt?

I have read that the egg is surrounded by a bloom - this helps so no bacteria can enter into the porous shell. Once the bloom is gone, they should not be kept for long or not at all - I'm not too sure. The commercial ones are washed however they put on a commercial spray i.e. a chemical bloom. How would you know if the "bloom" is gone? Can you clean these with a brush or would this be too harsh? I'm not quite sure how to go about this and wonder if I should just leave the egg as is.

Thanks for your advice
Cheers
Chrissy

I wish everyone a very HAPPY AND SAFE EASTER SEASON
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

PS Over here it's nice that's its getting a bit cooler. We still have temperatures up in the high 20C. We are just coming into the dry season now.

Back
Top Bottom