OMG Do I have a...*gulp*....ROO

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Jun 16, 2011.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    My little silkie who is a month and 18 days just tried to chest bump me!!!!1 does this mean he/she is a roo??? IT CANT BECAUSE ITS MY FAVORITE!!!!!!! it looks like a girl tho!

2. petchickens

petchickens New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    at the age you have said its unlikey you can tell the sex of a silkie you can sex them around 16-17 weeks old and if you dont have a cockerel/rooster then she could be taking the roll of a cockerel/rooster

in a flock the cockerel is the look out the protector but if you dont have one them one of the females will take that roll

3. tofumama

tofumama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to say...any time my chicks have chest-bumped, they have been roo's [​IMG] I just hatched out 4 chicks and they ALL chest bump! Sure enough, I checked and they are all boys. Sigh...

4. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    We just found out that one of my chicks is a roo. Roos arent alowed here, so we already said bye bye....[​IMG]

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    You can tell alot sooner than 16 weeks! Mine were crowing before that and their feet, combs and wattles are bigger than a hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by