OMG! HELP! Chick hatching

KareyABohr

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
SE Iowa
My DH is not home and one of the baby chicks has hatched. It was wiggling around and i chipped it so the beak was out and it is floping around all wierd now that it is out of the shell.
Is this normal?! Should I dry it off. I have no idea what to do.

It's just trying to get it's legs. It takes time. If there are other eggs in the bator, CLOSE IT, and LEAVE IT BE!

My chickie flopped around for a little while too. It was like it didn't realize it was out of the shell. I did pick it up to check it, but then I put it back in to warm and dry off. When it was almost dry then I moved it to the brooder.

The whole thing took about an hour. Just relax, don't panic.

If it hatched itself don't worry about it. They really don't have any coordination at hatch. It will also sleep a lot. It will be running around tomorrow
thumbsup.gif

Good! I see another one is starting to chip its away out of the shell.
My son will be SO excited when he sees this!
Thank you everyone! I will post pics when it dries off and isn't so yucky!

Chicks pip and take their time hatching for reasons, they are learning to breathe, resting and finishing absorbing their yolk sacs. From a pip it can take the chick 24 hours and longer to zip out of the shell. You risk ruining the others to hatch by opening the incubator, temps & and much needed humidity.

They also are trying to get their land legs under them just like any baby animal. The flopping around is normal and they will get it under control. Bright lights usually alert them and I like to keep lights dimmed so they can rest and are not flopping around to light and sound as much while still in the incubators.

Last edited:
wait did you hatch it, if so please let the others hatch on their own and if there are other eggs opening and closing the bator will lower the humidity and the others can be effected.

Back
Top Bottom