OMg Help

TheEasternFlock

Chirping
Mar 22, 2020
I got a male malard today i picked hím up and i Was so happy to see Such a happy healthy male i was truly thrilled. I asked the Sellers if i híd to clip back the fethers he said no he has part of his wing cut of...... i almost fainted. I thought he had it done when he Was a duckling...... so i got home i thought i will take a Good look at this handsome fella.... when i lifted hím i noticed his tip of his wing is missing. I called the Sellers right away and he said that he liped his wing so he can not fly ever again. I almost died. I have mallards on My pond and they never flu away ever not one of them. I wonder what can i do to help hím? Is this a dangerours

I've read of some hatcheries clipping the end of the wing off of ducklings to make them not able to fly. I haven't extensively researched, it, and I can't remember the proper name for it, but that is probably what happened.

I've read of some hatcheries clipping the end of the wing off of ducklings to make them not able to fly. I haven't extensively researched, it, and I can't remember the proper name for it, but that is probably what happened.
Hi, thank you for your anwser, i know some hatcheries do it but he is an adult mallard male not a duckling.

As mentioned, the duckling you have was pinioned. It's a common process among breeders to keep the bird incapable of flying.

Some hatcheries "pinion" waterfowl's wings so they can't fly soon after hatching. Fairly normal, I wouldn't worry about it unless it looks infected.
Thank you, so can I let him carry on as normal? And he will Be fine?
As mentioned, the duckling you have was pinioned. It's a common process among breeders to keep the bird incapable of flying.
Thank you very much for the info he is an adult male not a duckling I don’t know 🤷‍♀️ if can Be done when they are adults. He is a full grown mallard male and he was only pinion yesterday that’s why I am concerned

Thank you, so can I let him carry on as normal? And he will Be fine?

Thank you very much for the info he is an adult male not a duckling I don’t know 🤷‍♀️ if can Be done when they are adults. He is a full grown mallard male and he was only pinion yesterday that’s why I am concerned

Sorry, I was under the impression the bird was a duckling. If he is an adult already, they shouldn't have pinioned the area. Could you post a picture of the cut?

Yes I can do it tomorrow it’s really dark here I will try now if I can’t I will do it tomorrow it sure looks like the third part of the wing was cut off I am shocked 😳 I really don’t know if it’s gonna heal or what to do with him he is a very friendly duck but he is in shock now. I will go outside and take a picture if I can will be back in 20 mins

Back
Top Bottom