OMG! How I hate MITES with a passion!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CaraStrong, Sep 29, 2014.

1. CaraStrong

CaraStrong Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    Alright y'all! I have had chicken's for the last year and a half. I freakin love these guys but for some reason I cannot seem to get rid of mites! We even have scaly leg mites too! Grrrr! I have tried everything and I am really starting to get frustrated with trying to get rid of them. What can I do that will kill those things once and for all? I don't mind doing doing some work but this is getting ridiculous. Also, none of my neighbors are having issues the way that I am. Not sure if it's because I have a field behind the fence of where they are at, but I am for sure sick of this jazz!

Thanks!
    Cara'

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Please post pics of your coop's interior so we can see some 'causes' that you might be missing.

3. CaraStrong

Sep 29, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have DE and straw at the bottom as well as in their nesting boxes.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Got the pics...thanks.

Question: What part of the country do you live in?

Question: What is that plastic up in the rafters for?

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    and what have you used so far?

6. CaraStrong

Sep 29, 2014
    Hey, I live in Colorado.
    It's not plastic, it's insulation. I also have that between the walls. So the coop doesn't get too hot or too cold.

I have had issues with scaly leg mites which I used Vaseline and did that multiple times which was very messy!
    then we had an issue with our polish getting mites and she died. We were dusting all birds with a chicken dust to get rid of the mites and recently switched to DE for the dusting because it seemed good. I also sprayed them with a mite, lice and tick preventative... Manno-pro Poultry Protector... I really need a kill all get r done remedy right now! I do not care if it is a all natural crap as I am not killing them with the natural stuff I have used. What about Ivermectin? Seems to me this might be the fix all I am looking for?

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I use seven dust. You can watch the buggers die! I hated using it as it is deadly to bees so I try to be as careful as I can. I dust inside the coop and use as little as I can. I put it inberween the feathers as much as I can and I do it at night so it settles as much as it can before they get out again in the morning. I have used ivermectin pour on and sometimes still will depending on the bird. With polish put a pinch in the head puff. Don't let them breathe it and you don't need to either. I just got tired of dealing with the bugs. DE was useless. Some say it is good as a preventative. I'm not so sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by