OMG I almost killed her!

startingover

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Northern Kentucky
I feel horrible!

Long story short. We had a dog attack a week and a half ago. Didn't lose any, thank god! BUT I did have 1 that got hurt pretty bad (she is healing wonderfully inside my house since she is minus so many feathers) and then my littlest silkie who really wasn't hurt bad - she had a small cut on her back and was missing some feathers on her back and neck. You couldn't even tell she was missing them unless she stretched her neck out.

Anyway - I brouguht her inside for 4 days because she was seriously in shock from the attack. I took her back out and everything was fine. This morning I noticed she didn't come out of the chicken house. I really didn't think too much about it because she's the smallest and kinda scared of a lot of things. We were gone all day and when we got home it was time to feed. My DD goes to collect eggs while I get food together and then comes to tell me that the silkie has been sitting in the same spot all day. Oh no. I run out and she's not moving at all. I picked her up and she just barely opens her eyes. Bring her inside, syringe her some pedialite and put her in the cage with my other injured hen.

An hour later I check on her and she is up moving and drinking

I am a HORRIBLE chicken mom! She was COLD! Almost frozen so much that she couldn't or wouldn't move!

Or maybe she is smarter than me and figured if she acted sick that the mommy creature would take her back in the warm house...

hugs.gif
Your a wonderful chicken Mommy!! I hope they get better soon!!
hugs.gif

It was cold enough this morning here in Northern Kentucky that after a few days in the warm house she didn't like it out there and used phychology on you! Also, after her not being in the coop several days the other chickens likely didn't welcome here into the huddle very quickly. It will take a few days for them to get it all worked out.

Larry

She had been outside for several days already and surprisingly everyone welcomed her back. She is literally half the size of a regular sized silkie and it has always seemed that everyone protects her. She is rarely alone. I doubt because of their behaviour that anyone was mean to her.

Yes it has gotten cold again. I should have left her in the house... but hopefully all will be well.

Sorry, I missed the part where she had already been back with the flock a few days. It really sounds like she just got spoiled while inside and wanted back in since it turned cold again. I'm sure she will be ok since, after all, chickens do have down jackets.........

But you can expect to see her wanting in the house now whenever it gets cold...or rainy.... or.....LOL... I'm thinking she's just spoiled!

Larry

Back
Top Bottom