OMG I can't afford to send my kids to public school!

froggie71

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Shamong, NJ
NJ is having a terrible time with taxes. Our new governor has been trying to help alleviate this my asking our teacher's union to have:
1. a pay freeze and 2. to have the teachers pay 1.5% of their pay to their medical plans. (They have never paid anything accept copays)

So......The way to remedy this is to have the school make the parents pay for their kids to have after school activities (first time ever) $200 per student and up to $400/family. I have 2 kids in high school this year. This does not include if you go to see your kid at any events such as sports or band competitons etc. Will still have to pay for this and for any trips they take. Now I just found out that my freshman will be required to have a specific calculator as they feel this calculator will help with all upcoming math classes and will be allowed to be used on SAT, PSAT and ACT tests. This calculator costs.......
$150! well depending on where you buy it. It could cost more and even a bit less. The kicker is that on the back of the packing of this calculator are points that are you to bring in so the school can redeem them to acquire additional Texas Instrument educational products.

he.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
smack.gif
he.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
The calculator you are referring to is a graphing calculator. Texas instruments makes several models that appropriate through out your child's high school and college years. So, yes it is a LARGE investment, but it should be the last calulator your child will need for the next 8 years.

MOST 9th graders no not NEED this calculator. The NEED shows up with an Algebra 2 class - - usually. Before you panic, check with a TEACHER to confirm he NEEDS it this year.

Next, check the ebay and other such web sites. Many college students will sell theirs as soon as they are done with college. You can pick up that $80 - $150 calculator for $40 - 60 through these auction sites.

Also, right before school starts - - - must office supply places will put these graphing calculators on sell - - - for $70 - $100.

WHEN you do purchase the graphing calculator - - - make sure you use a permanent marker (silver ink works best) to write your child's name on the back of the calculator - - not the cover - - the back of back of the calculator. Some 14 - 16 year olds are not responsible with this very expensive calculator and leave them in the classroom. This way the teacher can return it to the student. Also, if it gets taken by another student - - it can be identified and returned.

Quote:
Also write it on the inside of the battery cover. You'll need that calculator. The graphing aspect of the calculator is very important in Algebra 2 and pre-calc, although I did use mine a lot in algebra 1 and geometry for simple calculations/ graphing in algebra.
The school library might have calculators you can check out for the year for the cost of batteries, so you may want to talk to the librarian or teacher.

I know these fees seem high - - - but you have no idea how much teachers already spend out of their own pocket every year - - -

At my school - - I have to buy copy paper and ink for the printers.
In other words, I have to buy supplies so that parents can get progress reports.

Also, I have to buy pencils, paper, kleenix, and hand sanitizer for the students.
I purchase approximately - - - 15 - 20 packs of paper, 430 pencils, 10 boxes of kleenix and 5 bottles of hand sanitizer.
I, also, provide notebooks for those students whose parents haven't purchased them by the 4 week of school.

I teach math - - so out of my own pocket - - I buy cheap little calculators for daily student emergencies too.

Typically, sports participants do fundraisers to raise the funds needed for these extras. They sell candy, do car washes, etc. Perhaps, you could speak to the coaches and see what they are or are not doing with regards to fundraisers.

My children are in band and I can relate to the extra expenses. However, having them in band at school is still cheaper than paying for private lessons.

Good Luck and Just know it is expensive for everybody - - - parents and teachers
thumbsup.gif

I have been checking e-bay and have a watch on a couple of the calculators at the moment. Thank you. The letter received from the school states that the entering freshman who are taking Algebra I are required to have this calculator. I think it is funny that they write in the letter:

In this budget-conscious time, we are asking all students to help us participate in the Texas Instruments Technology Reward Program. Each retail package comes with a 50-point reward symbol (shown on back) that can only be redeemed by schools to acquire additional Texas Instruments educational products. Algebra I teachers will be collecting these points during the first week of school. Please do not discard these valuable reward points.

Now if I, in my budget conscious mind go to e-bay to buy a used calculator, I will not be getting these points.
th.gif

Blaming it on the budget doesn't make sense since my kid had to purchase the same calculator when he was in high school and we don't live in New Jersey and it was 6 years ago.

As for after school activities, if the kids want it, they need to start earning some cash.

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea teachers are asked to foot so much! I've always thought they were underpaid, though. Too many kids, not enough supplies and support and resources, and they're caring for and developing the most valuable thing any family has on a nearly all day, everyday basis.

I have to buy pencils, paper, kleenix, and hand sanitizer for the students.

We were required to send these items with our kids since they were in Kindergarten.​

You may also be able to "rent" a calculator from a community college. That's how I got through Algebra II.

Also, if you buy a quality modern graphinc calculator, your children may be able to use them through college.

You could also ask anyone in college if they would like to sell theirs used

Back
Top Bottom