OMG I can't afford to send my kids to public school!

Quote:

And others steal them.....

I just wanted you to know I wrote my sons name on the back of the calculator AND inside the battery compartment it was still stolen and my son knew who took it but the kid removed the permanent marker with alchol(he told my son he did this) after much hassle a meeting was arranged with the teacher, school principle,my son, the other student & parents from both parties(the other students parents said my son was the thief) we all sat at the meeting the principle asked to see the calculator which now had the other kids name on it....I failed to tell everyone one other thing I did...I scratched my sons initials & name into the calculator in two places which I told the principle about and he quickly located them on the calculator turns out it "WAS" my sons....so somewhere I advice scratthing the initials or name into it.

VERY GOOD TIP !

Those calculators have been a thing required down here since I was in school... seems a bit much to me, to have to buy this specific one that you'll use for one year and then not again... that really is something the school should provide IMHO... you don't see them requiring students to have a laptop (yet)... the buy computers and MANY students use them... I think the same should happen with the calculator, but evidently I'm in the minority on that one... at least around here.

As to After School... well those things are optional, not mandatory. I know for many that's the only way they can attend college, scholarships for sports and whatnot, but why should money be taken from educating ALL students just so that a handful can play a game just never sat right with me. Particularly once you get into HS and only the best get in... it is NOT available to all... so, on that front I agree that students/parents should have to cover the expense if they want EXTRA things for their kids. If the default education... regular diploma or Honors... AP, etc. is okay then the property taxes should cover it.

Just my two cents *passes salt cellar*

Quote:
Thats the way i feel too...
Let the kids earn money for the after school things if they want to do them....

Quote:
Now if I, in my budget conscious mind go to e-bay to buy a used calculator, I will not be getting these points.
th.gif

Those points are good for the teacher to get things like a set of those graphing calculators or other nice things. As a parent - - - BUY USED and don't worry about the school's points.

As a TEACHER - - - I would really need that teacher to justify the NEED for a graphing calculator in Algebra 1. A scientific calculator ( running $ 10 - 20) is all that should be NEEDED in Algebra 1. There are some things you can show on a graphing calculator at the Algebra 1 level. However, a teacher could pair the students for the demonstration or model it on an overhead for the entire class to see. I don't know of any teacher who requires a graphing calculator for Algebra 1.

ALGEBRA 2 is when a need shows up. In Algebra 2, the students study how to move graphs left, right, up and down. A graphing calculator helps the student see if their equation matches the graph. In Algebra 2, a graphing calculator is very very very nice. This is the class where they should be LEARNING how to USE a graphing calculator. Students MUST HAVE a graphing calculator for pre-calculus.

Quote:
I don't sell these items. If I sell items in the classroom, then the bookkeeper has to get involved. It would also take away from my teaching time. It is easier and quicker to stock up with the back to school sales and then give away to students as needed until my resources are exhausted.

I got my graphing calculator in the 7th grade when I did algebra 2, did not need it for algebra 1, and in reality, anything you can do on the calculator you should be able to do the "long way" in the end. The graphing calculator has served me very well over the past 10 years, for work, and for hours of tetris loaded in memory. LOL It is worth the money to get a good one. I have a TI89+ version and I've used it through the entire basic calculus series, the one advanced class I took, matrix algebra(life saver in that class!), differential equations, and in almost all my engineering classes. I actually have it by my side now in grad school.

My youngest has been out of high school for ten years now but I had kids in the public school system (very small school, class size averaged 30-35 kids most years) from 1981 till 2000 and we always had to pay fees for after school activities and supply all classroom supplies such as calculators.

Quote:

And others steal them.....

I just wanted you to know I wrote my sons name on the back of the calculator AND inside the battery compartment it was still stolen and my son knew who took it but the kid removed the permanent marker with alchol(he told my son he did this) after much hassle a meeting was arranged with the teacher, school principle,my son, the other student & parents from both parties(the other students parents said my son was the thief) we all sat at the meeting the principle asked to see the calculator which now had the other kids name on it....I failed to tell everyone one other thing I did...I scratched my sons initials & name into the calculator in two places which I told the principle about and he quickly located them on the calculator turns out it "WAS" my sons....so somewhere I advice scratthing the initials or name into it.

Engravers are marvelous for marking personal things. You probably also want to note the serial number and register ownership using that. Marking in both obvious and unobvious locations on the device is a great idea.

I know and I can empathize with you. I was thinking that with Steven out now I'd save a little money,, then I realized I'd just be using that money to supply the kids in them my class. You need to check with teachers before buying a lot of things. The schools put together supply lists and put them out without even talking to teachers most of the time. I try and get the word out to NOT buy supplies until they get MY list,, not the schools list because there are things they just don't need to buy, they are in the classrooms already. I save notebooks and folders that are left over from other students and we tear the paper out to use them the next year if the students don't take them. Yesterday I went to Staples,, they have 3 prong folders for a penny, teachers can get 25 at that price if they spend $5,, I got 200 folders yesterday, that will cover 25 students at 4 each and leave some for extra and maybe the next year. The small spiral notebooks are at Wal Mart for .10 right now,, I bought $10 worth, that will cover a lot of students. I have rulers,, of course some want their own or fancy notebooks or fancy folders and that is up to them.. but I do my best to help out my kids as much as possible.

Younger grade students tend to need a lot of pencils,, office supply stores usually sell them in bulk and you can get together with other parents and split the cost. Some have specials like buy 4 notebooks get 1 free,, if you only need 1 find some other parents to split the cost with you and all of you come out just a little less and that adds up. One big thing,, a lot of teachers send home letters asking the kids to bring their boxes of pencils and paper to the class and they go into a large storage area to be dolled out as needed,, I don't approve of that because a few parents end up supporting the moochers,, the kids that can't afford it can get supplies from school usually if the go to the counselors but I've known parents who have spent a penny until they get to my class and discover they can't borrow paper and pencils from friends,, they must have their own. If they need paper they have to buy it from me for .02 sheet, pencils are .25,, pens are .50,, they bring their supplies really quick. If I know a student doesn't have supplies I make sure they get them if it's a case of not being able to afford them.

If you have Kleenex on the list, any tissue will do,, but PLEASE!!!! SEND IT!!! It seems like such a petty item but it is one of the most needed items on the list.

TALK TO TEACHERS BEFORE PURCHASING HIGH DOLLAR ITEMS ESPECIALLY!

I use and engraver on EVERYTHING my kids HATE it but their stuff never gets stolen
lol.png
Well worth the 10.00 purchase price!

Back
Top Bottom