OMG I can't afford to send my kids to public school!

Quote:
Did a test like this once with listerine with the same kind of results. It may make your breath smell minty for a short time, but it sure doesn't kill the germs.

It sounds like instead of giving the teacher an apple for a "gift" you should send your kids in with a gift card to an office supply store!

Quote:
You are kidding right ? ? ?

Students blow their nose and what - - - - send them to the restroom to wash their hands ?

I would hope between 1971 and now, we have learned a lot about how to prevent the spreading of germs.

Point being, I never missed a day of school, [not that my grades would prove it] and didn't run around with germophobia. Could it be that we, now, live, work and drive in self contained, recurculating boxes, for the sake of comfort, and never get any fresh air or exercise.

All the hand sanitizer, in the world, isn't going to solve that problem.

I was told I need a graphic calc for next year (9th) too... We found one for $20 at a yard sale, complete with manual. Put an ad on Craigslist and/or Freecycle, you'd be surprised!
smile.png

Quote:
Our schools don't have lockers available until high school, and hten only if one chooses to pay to rent it. I did for ds's freshman year--he NEVER used it, so I have since chosen to not pay. Older ds did use a locker, so we paid for it. Older ds's locker was half height; I don;t recall if younger's was half or quarter height--I am thinking smaller, but not positive. They went to different schools is why. When I was in school our lockers were full height, and we have them from 1st grade up. No fee, but if you wanted to lock it, you had to supply the padlock. There may have been a builtin lock in high school-don't recall.

Youngest ds had colour coordinated middle school stuff, too. BUT, every one of his teachers wanted a 3" binder JUST FOR THAT SUBJECT!!! When I was a kid we had ONE inder and sections for each subject.

Quote:
My son is required to have a TI -nspire calculator. Must be the 1 with the touchpad, NOT the TI-nspire CAS. I've found many that are much cheaper, but not the required calculator and again I do have my eye on ebay at the moment, but thank you.

Our high school lockers are half height, no rental fee, but you must provide your own padlock. My older DS has a padlock, but doesn't bother to use the locker assigned to him. He always uses the locker in the band room. The middle school lockers are full height, but the lock is integrated in the locker which the kids are assigned and given the combination to.

Quote:
Our schools don't have lockers available until high school, and hten only if one chooses to pay to rent it. I did for ds's freshman year--he NEVER used it, so I have since chosen to not pay. Older ds did use a locker, so we paid for it. Older ds's locker was half height; I don;t recall if younger's was half or quarter height--I am thinking smaller, but not positive. They went to different schools is why. When I was in school our lockers were full height, and we have them from 1st grade up. No fee, but if you wanted to lock it, you had to supply the padlock. There may have been a builtin lock in high school-don't recall.

Youngest ds had colour coordinated middle school stuff, too. BUT, every one of his teachers wanted a 3" binder JUST FOR THAT SUBJECT!!! When I was a kid we had ONE inder and sections for each subject.

Last edited:
Quote:
You are kidding right ? ? ?

Students blow their nose and what - - - - send them to the restroom to wash their hands ?

I would hope between 1971 and now, we have learned a lot about how to prevent the spreading of germs.

In my daughter's junior year of high school, a fellow classmate died of MRSA infection. It turns out he had gotten a home made tattoo, but it panicked the entire county for quite a while. That said, in '71 antibiotics were far more effective in killing staph, for instance. Resistance to antibiotics is a real problem, especially in institutional settings like schools, nursing homes and even more frightening, in hospitals.

Generally speaking, cell phones are not allowed to be used during school hours. Regardless if your phone has "an app for that". Plus, you wind up paying a whole lot more for the phone + data plan than you would for the calculator.

Back
Top Bottom