OMG...I feel so bad...U2 killed my African grey today..sick about it!!

bugladyleah

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
PA
Oh geez...you guys. I am so mad at myself. I have had an Umbrella cockatoo for 5 years that I took in from a bad situation. Today, when I was busy selling chicks to someone outside, the U2 attacked and killed my African grey (my baby..I handfed her). It was TOTALLY my fault. I knew this U2 was aggressive with other birds and I didn't realize they were both loose. The U2 flew off his perch in one room and went to the other room and climbed up in the grey's cage and grabbed her. I am sick sick sick about it.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
Awww. I'm so sorry. That sucks.

PS what is a U2?

Yeah, U2 is short for Umbrella cockatoo. This guy is such a sad story. He was in a home for 10 years in a cage. I took him b/c I felt SOOOOO bad for him. He was my bird. I could do anything to him, but he always was really iffy with the other birds here. He once grabbed my Meyer's parrot and I thought he "popped" his eye. Many trips to the avian vet later, the Meyer's was fine. So I knew knew knew what he was capable of and I just let my guard down and wasn't paying attention. He also has been acting VERY aggressive with my 2 yo DD. It is a jealousy thing. He is going to a new home tomorrow with no kids. I just cannot take the risk of him grabbing one of the kids. He can do such damage in such a short amount of time. This has just proven the point. It isn't his fault, but I just can't take the risk.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear that! Its sickening to see some of the situations parrots have been put in. It was awesome that you gave him a great home and I am so sorry that happened to your african grey. I know it is very easy to forget to close a cage door and often times I've gone into the sanctuary and random birds have been out. Fortunately I've never had anything terrible happen, but it wouldn't take much and I would be just as heartbroken and sick.

Hopefully the U2 will do well in his new home and you will be able to find another grey to steal your heart. I know what wonderful birds they can be.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom