OMG! I finally have a broody!! Too late??

peepmommy

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
So I am to receive a shipment of 15 new babies tues or weds. (ship date monday). I have been all set up for these new arrivals and low and behold, I found a new broody hen today! She has only started being broody today. I enclosed her, gave her food and water. She's sitting on 15 eggs and has no desire to leave the nest. Did my broody come to me too late? Should I even attempt this? I really don't want chicks in my house for a few months ( I am pregnant and due in August). Needless to say, I have a lot on my mind and would rather have a hen take these babies. Is 15 chicks too much for one mom? She is a large BR and seems to be very sweet. If I do put them under her at night, how often do I trek out to the barn to look in and make sure she's not killing them?? Any thought would be appreciated!!!

It may be too early to give her the chicks. Although they can't count to exactly 21, they seem to have a sense of the proper amount of time it takes to brood, and will sometimes reject chicks that arrive "too early". Especially since this is an unproven broody, I would not want to take the risk if it were me.

I certainly understand about not wanting to brood chicks yourself but this time of year you should be able to get them outside pretty quickly. I usually have my spring chicks (March hatch) outside at least during the day at 3 weeks and full-time by 4 weeks, so if you are not due until August you should still be able to have them out well before then.

Any more thoughts?? I feel like I'm really pushing my luck, but if she doesn't take to them, I am around to rescue them if she gets a little rough...

I would check them as early in the morning as possible. As soon dawn breaks. She will keep them with her at night - or at least mine did. But she did reject them the next morning. I placed the chicks under and around her again the next night and removed all but one "egg" - golf balls. She wasn't as unhappy the next morning and did the same until all the balls were gone. She took the chicks but only stayed with them about 2 weeks. She did not leave the nest during those first 3 days to chase them and they did move out of her range.

My Black Sex Link hen was only broody for about 4-5 days and she accepted all her chicks so theres hope for you yet. Oh and she was a first time broody too. I just put the chicks under her at 10:00 PM so she was pretty much totally asleep and checked again at dawn. She never pushed the chicks away and gladly adopted them :) Good luck!

My Black Sex Link hen was only broody for about 4-5 days and she accepted all her chicks so theres hope for you yet. Oh and she was a first time broody too. I just put the chicks under her at 10:00 PM so she was pretty much totally asleep and checked again at dawn. She never pushed the chicks away and gladly adopted them :) Good luck!

Good to know. I am picking up some keets tomorrow. I might see if my 6-day broody will raise them for me.

Back
Top Bottom