TSC chicks

Sookie2020

Chirping
Aug 15, 2021
I have a hen that has been broody for 2 or 3 weeks. She's been stealing eggs to sit on, but I take them everyday. She's determined. So, I broke down and went to TSC and bought some chicks. I swapped the eggs for them. She didn't reject them but, she still won't get off the nest. Is this normal? Will it take her some time to realize she has babies?

I have a hen that has been broody for 2 or 3 weeks. She's been stealing eggs to sit on, but I take them everyday. She's determined. So, I broke down and went to TSC and bought some chicks. I swapped the eggs for them. She didn't reject them but, she still won't get off the nest. Is this normal? Will it take her some time to realize she has babies?
If she's accepted them, it will probably take another day or so. Put food and water close by so that they all can get to if if it takes some more time

She didn't reject them but, she still won't get off the nest. Is this normal? Will it take her some time to realize she has babies?

Normal. If they hatched under her, she would wait for any slowpokes to hatch, before getting off the nest with the whole clutch. You know that isn't going to happen, but she doesn't, so it may be a day or two before she thinks it is time to move.

I agree with @JacinLarkwell suggestion, to put food and water close, so the chicks can pop out for a meal even if the hen is still sitting.

Thank you for your response! I did put some chick feed and adult chicken feed and some water near them. I was afraid the chicks wouldn't take to the hen after reading about ""transplants". There was one that took a couple of tries before she (they are all supposed to be pullets, but they did come from TSC, after all) stayed under the hen. I've been keeping an eye on them and all seem to be doing well so far. I'm excited to see them grow, if they live. I have 2 Black Sex Links, 2 Starlight Green Eggers, and 2 Sapphire Gems.

Thank you for your response! I did put some chick feed and adult chicken feed and some water near them.
I would skip the "adult chicken feed," and just leave the chick feed and the water.

Chick starter is fine for adult hens too.

Hens that are laying eggs would need extra calcium if they eat chick starter (a dish of oyster shell is the usual way to deal with that), but this hen is not laying eggs so she doesn't need extra calcium right now. Chick starter and water will be fine for her.

I went out to check on them this morning. I was almost sure I would have one dead from getting cold because it didn't want to stay under her at first. I'm happy to announce all 6 are alive and well (2 are hidden under her).

Attachments

• 20240225_070605.jpg
    20240225_070605.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom