OMG I hate 4-H project books!

froggie71

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Shamong, NJ
Just finished up with the 7 project books that the kids had to do for 4-H. They are a great resource when keeping track of everything you own, sell, spend, etc. but that is also why I hate them. I just found out how much we actually spend a year on all of our "pets" and how very little we take in in comparison.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Actually both my DH and I were working the receipts as 1. the records that were being kept in the laptop got lost when the laptop crashed and had to be started from the beginning 2. I was even confused as how to divvy up the receipts as DH chose not to buy things in seperate orders just because it would make things easier for the record books. With 3 kids doing 3 different poultry projects and trying to figure out how much feed 10 guineas vs. 20 ducks and 4 geese vs. 41 chickens. Anyway it was more complicated than it probably needed to be. 3. The receipts were not just mixed with poultry, but with the pig for feed and then there were the reptiles.....
The boys did do the rest of their books
smile.png

Quote:
I think it would be better if we chose to raise our animals as farm animals and not as pets. Yes we do sell eggs and we have sold chicks/ducklings, but not nearly enough to cover what the birds eat.

Just finished our 4-H Fair and saw the stack of 4-H Record Books turned in. Oh my so glad I do not have to judge them lol! Must have been a few 100!!!!!!

My son keeps his on the computer-if it crashed we would be lost!

tongue.png

Lynne

I hear you about the project and record books.

What a chore it can be but she sure likes the glory at awards time!

The kids have to do the work, but it's the parents that have to make it possible for them to get the work done which means helping them keep track of the dates, times, places, expenses, whatever.

A.T. Hagan :

I hear you about the project and record books.

What a chore it can be but she sure likes the glory at awards time!

The kids have to do the work, but it's the parents that have to make it possible for them to get the work done which means helping them keep track of the dates, times, places, expenses, whatever.

True awards time is nice. And my boys did well. Even brought home a BEST OF SHOW in both poultry and herpetology. My main complaint wasn't the work so much as the knowing how much it all actually costs.​

You can't measure the cost of 4-H

Because you can only count the money. And when it becomes
about the money, the trophy, or even Best of Show I know I've
measured it wrong.

For the trophy someday get packed away. Or gather dust on
a shelf. The award money gets spent.

But for many, the memory of 4-H and the values it teaches become
lifelong lessons as our children of today become the adults of tomorrow.

Measured against my daughter becoming a responsible adult these
few dollars mean nothing.

I try to support her and to encourage her to reach for her dreams. Never
stop dreaming.

You don't need the trophy to be a winner.

And thats 4-H to me.

(But I've got some **** expensive chickens. And dont' even ask about
those other projects.)

Back
Top Bottom