OMG! I processed a turkey today tryed pithing nightmare

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Yup. Only way for me.

Keep in mind that birds do have nervous system reactions for a few minutes after
even losing thier heads. Is it possible some of what you whitnessed was just
nerve reaction, aka "like a chicken with it's head cut off"?

nope the eyes were looking around very freaky
Quote:
Yup. Only way for me.

Keep in mind that birds do have nervous system reactions for a few minutes after
even losing thier heads. Is it possible some of what you whitnessed was just
nerve reaction, aka "like a chicken with it's head cut off"?

The heads from ours blinked and looked around for a little while, not for very long, but still....it was a little weird....and their headless bodies clucked at us....

I tried the pithing with 2 of the five meat birds I processed on Friday morning. Didn't work for me either. DH thought I was heartless even though I was trying to be humane. I didn't even bother with the last three. I had a new SHARP knife and just cut the heads off. They flapped for a few minutes but I just walked away while they bled out. I would let one bleed out while I processed the other. Pithing.........NOT!!
he.gif

Wow, these stories are the total opposite of our experience (with chickens, anyway).

I swear I will do my best to video the process next time. It may be 3 weeks or so, because my husband is going through some medical treatments that are wiping him out.

But really, the ones we did went OUT, night-night, no muss, no fuss.

I'm sorry I posted something that apparently wasn't as easy as it looked to me as an observer (since I wasn't the one doing the actual sticking).

When my mother use to do the butchering of Sunday dinners of fried chicken or dumplings at home with the butcher block and axe she never let the birds flail around, she always held onto them for a minute or so to prevent bruising. Her words exactly!! Do not let go of the birds!!...lol

Back
Top Bottom