1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG...I Think I Have a Baby WILD Turkey...see pics..

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Big Red's Mom, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    DW would have a fit if I had a turkey in the back yard.... but seeing that chick makes me wish I could raise it.

2. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Quote:It is cute as pie but very loud...I know it is scared and needs a friend.
    I was so excited to find out that my uncle had decided to grow turkeys this year. He has chickens that he raises for eggs and sale. He really loves his chickens. So I know he will take good care of the little one I have. My DH wants a pair of grown birds later for our back yard. Nothing like seeing a bug TOM show off for his lady.

3. Big Red's Mom

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Quote:My son loves all animals and will understand. It may involve a tear or two (from me too) A good thing is my uncle only lives about 30 mins away and we do visit him often. So we can watch this little one grow.
    I think he will be okay. Just letting go is so hard even after just one day. The babies always get your heart fast.

4. ginbart

ginbart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Big Red's Mom :

Quote:It is cute as pie but very loud...I know it is scared and needs a friend.
    I was so excited to find out that my uncle had decided to grow turkeys this year. He has chickens that he raises for eggs and sale. He really loves his chickens. So I know he will take good care of the little one I have. My DH wants a pair of grown birds later for our back yard. Nothing like seeing a bug TOM show off for his lady.

We have wild turkeys in our back field and I love to watch the TOM show off. I tried to hatch turkeys, I had 8 eggs but none of them hatched. Only one made it to about day 20. I may try again sometime. I have learned a lot reading this thread. Thanks everyone.​

5. DarrellandStacey

DarrellandStacey New Egg

Jun 6, 2009
    It looks just like the 3 wild turkeys my boyfriend found the other day and brought home. We have them with our other 2 baby turkeys and our 2 baby chickens. They are doing well. They are learning to eat from our other ones and are getting better at being handled. The other night the 3 of them found their way to my chest and laid down and fell alseep. It was so cute!!

We are giving them the medicated food like our others gets. We are hoping for the best....[​IMG]

6. Big Red's Mom

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I called my uncle and The little turkey is doing great with it's new family. He has been keeping an extra eye on it since it was born wild. It is eating and drinking just fine. He checked on it late the first night and it was asleep with the chickens. So as far as this little one goes it looks like it will do okay.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

8. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Depending on where you are it can be illegal to do that. Here, they will take you straight to jail for it (that happend to my FIL years ago). I think you might be able to get a permit to own wild turkey but you would just have to check your local laws. But those chicks are young enough that you could get them to to live in captivity. They look pretty good in the pics...and cute as can be!!!! [​IMG]

You can call your local game warden and they will come get them and send them to a wild life rehab where they will be taught to remain wild and then returned to the wild. I am a wild life rehabber but I have actually never taken in a wild turkey. Or you can raise them and most likely be just fine. Good Luck with them.

9. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    I know the right thing is to call a game warden but some people in MA did the right thing for a baby deer and the fawn was put down. The people had found it somewhere and was raising it but wanted to do the right thing and not get in trouble. I read the story on Yahoo news and it just p'd me off to no end. [​IMG]

10. Big Red's Mom

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    Well the baby is doing great...My uncle has a few other wild turkeys that a young boy found. He is going to raise them and turn them loose. He has a very large place for them to learn to be free and still have protection. So they will go back to the wild.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by