OMG...I Think I Have a Baby WILD Turkey...see pics..

Sounds Great! I can't wait to see what mine looks like. I posted about it.

I see you are close by, I'm out west of Raymond. Won't be home til Sunday and hope it does okay. My mom did mention that it looked brown, but haven't seen it. Since it wasn't born wild I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm attempting to look up MS regulations now.

We have Easterns and they are so tame they eat out your hand.......We start the poults on game bird starter which is 28% protein. They are good flyers, we keep their wings clipped to keep them from going over our 6' fence, but if you have acreage, I wouldn't clip them so they can fly away from predators. The wild breeds can fly up into a tree or onto a rooftop. Here's a recent pic of one of our mommas with her poults.

34798_tom_004.jpg
[/img]

Quote:
Really we found a female fawn about 3 weeks ago and it was just skin and bones laying in the middle of the road bawling its head off so my dad brought it home and I have stayed home and bottle feed it every 2 hours. Though I think I have somewhere to take it once it gets bigger there is a lady that raises and breeds Reindeer near us. Her name is Babe and she loves to follow me everywhere!

Thats a wild turkey!!! I raise them and feed them crickets and other bugs plus green beans and egg yolk that are hard boiled!!! That pic the bird is about a week or two old not days! They can fly after ten days old Just letting u know! Any other quesrions PM me!

Quote:
That poult looks very young, only around 2 or 3 days old when the picture was taken. I'm glad that you found the poult a good home Big Red's Mom. I'm suprised the turkey started eating and drinking. Usually they are already bonded with their mother and will starve themselves. Good job with helping it out!
thumbsup.gif
In PA it is legal to have the wild easterns as pets, you just can't sell them unless your certified by the game commission.

It looks like a Wild Eastern turkey poult to me. I have 7 screaming their heads off in my dining room right now! They do not like for me to be out of their sight even for a few minutes.

In reference to owning wildlife... in Arkansas, you can own up to 6 of any wild critter without a permit. Right now, they're not giving out permits to anyone. A couple of my poults will have to be re-homed real soon
wink.png
so that I can stay within the law. My pastor may be acquiring a couple
smile.png

As for releasing wildlife... in some states THAT is against the law. Once a wild animal is raised in capitivity, it should not be released back into the wild, as they bond with humans and are basically no longer WILD.

Quote:
I live Between Midway Rd and Springridge Rd. Closer to HWY 55.

The little turkey is doing great...It is out growing it's little family fast.
My uncle says they are all getting along fine and the turkey is growing. So maybe it has a chance...

I just found a baby wild turkey by the railroad tracks. I called to it and it came right to me. .I gave it some yellow corn meal as that is all I could find tonight..I gave it some water but it stood in it so I TOOK IT OUT. WILL GO TO THE FEED STORE IN THE MORNING AND GET THE RIGHT EUIPMENT. Does it need medicated water?. I have it in a box in the kitchen and it is 86 in there.Hope it makes it,have raised many wild babies but never a baby turkey. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom