OMG I want one!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Jun 16, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    So in the doctor's office my mother and I read about the domestication of silver foxes in National Geographic. It was a long article and this link to that article isn't as in depth as the one in the magazine, but I was just blown away with how they managed to domesticate foxes in just 14 generations. I mean fully domesticate them to the point they crave human attention.

The article also went into the domestication of dogs, chickens pigs and sheep.

here is the online version of it.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/taming-wild-animals/ratliff-text

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    YES!!!! I read that article it was awesome and those foxes are GORGEOUS!!!!

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Yea. They are really expensive though. Such beautiful colors too! I've wanted one for years, lol.

4. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    There is a man about 40 miles from me that breeds and sells them along with 8 other kinds,The silvers run about $600 each.Google calico fox,those are expensive.

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I remember watching something on tv about that. With the trouble I had with my dog and my ducks though, I would be terrified to own a fox and chickens. No matter how domesticated it was. They are adorable though.

6. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Awww you people have bad taste... I want one of these:

[​IMG]

or these:

[​IMG]

Or these:

[​IMG]

Or these:

[​IMG]

Not these...... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel bad hor her ^ (and I was totally kidding)

7. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    I owned a baby squirrel once. Once. Twitchy little guy. Had a taste for pillows, and the wood stair rail. Nothing depreciates a nice home like a squirrel.

Also raised a raccoon a few years ago..I have the scars to prove it, too. You just can't take food away from a coon like you do a dog or cat. Raccoons are by far the most bipolar of all the critters I've ever tried to make pets. My girlfriend doesn't hold a match to a coon when it comes to mental instability.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    Quote:You are my type of gal!!! [​IMG] tee hee hee... wook at the widdle monkey and piggy!!!

9. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Siberian foxes are gorgeous animals. I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through the pictures on www.sibfox.com, and I recommend watching videos of them on Youtube. There are some really cute videos of them on there.

I've also been interested in Fennec foxes, too. Is this not the most adorable thing everrr?!
    [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I almost got a fennec.... But they arent legal here..! Cant have a monkey either!! Grrrr! Mass Jackwagons!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by