OMG I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Sep 6, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OMG this is my first time hatching out chicken eggs and they are in my homemade incubator!!! [​IMG] And OMG am I surprised!!!
    Our two hens laid an egg, so I decided to see if they would be fertile. So I put them in the bator, put temp. up to 97-101 degrees F. with a light, and GUESS WHAT!!??? ONE EGG IS FORMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am sooo happy!!! Our hen, Abby, laid the egg, and now on the 6th day, there are little red veins and I can see the chicks eye I think!!! [​IMG] It is growing fast! I am expecting it to hatch around Sept. 20-27, since I put them in the bator (and they were laid) on 8/30/08. I am not sure if egg #2 will hatch, because it hasn't grown any veins yet. [​IMG] But I haven't given up hope yet! [​IMG] There is a small shadow in the slow growing egg though, but that could be the yolk. I will keep you posted about the eggs!!!! [​IMG] wish me and the eggs luck! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    UPDATE:
    also, my teacher and the class was doing an "egg drop" and she had leftover eggs that weren't used, so I asked her where she had gotten them and she said "at a farm stand". so I told her that I was hatching eggs in a bator, and she gave me two eggs! [​IMG] But I have no idea how old they are and so far nothing is growing. But i just wanted to experiment with them. [​IMG]

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    congrats and hope to see pics when the baby comes out. Your going to get addicted to hatching. I just turned my bator on today after sitting for 2 weeks. I cant stop this addiction! Problem I am having right now is should I hatch ducks first or chickens? I hate choosing lol!

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That's very eggciting - congrats!!!!!! Hope you have a great hatch!!!!

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    thanks! [​IMG]
    yep, it is VERY addicting!!! I am already asking my mom to stop by this "Farmer's Market" to see if they are selling eggs! LOL [​IMG]

6. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Definitely Eggciting! Keep us posted! BTW, what grade are you in (if you are allowed to post)?

I teach 6th grade and my students are freaked out that I have chickens and they lay eggs! I am going to have to bring in a couple of dozen, once the Delightful Dozen are laying, and cook up some huevos rancheros.
    [​IMG]

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:well, i won't tell my exact grade, but i am in middle school. [​IMG]

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:well, i won't tell my exact grade, but i am in middle school. [​IMG]

and yes, i built the bator all by myself! LOL I looked up online and used Missprissy's bator as a role model for mine! (except I didn't use a cooler, i used a cardboard box/plastic box, and yes the temps. are quite steady! They are usually always in the upper 90s/101 degrees F. range. [​IMG]

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    i may/may not be able to post pics. [​IMG] still have't got the hang of it! [​IMG]

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Of course you can - you are the technology native generation.

I did it.

Of course, I had to look at every FAC page in BYC and my photo storage site LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by