OMG I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
OMG this is my first time hatching out chicken eggs and they are in my homemade incubator!!!
big_smile.png
And OMG am I surprised!!!
Our two hens laid an egg, so I decided to see if they would be fertile. So I put them in the bator, put temp. up to 97-101 degrees F. with a light, and GUESS WHAT!!??? ONE EGG IS FORMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
th.gif
th.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I am sooo happy!!! Our hen, Abby, laid the egg, and now on the 6th day, there are little red veins and I can see the chicks eye I think!!!
yippiechickie.gif
It is growing fast! I am expecting it to hatch around Sept. 20-27, since I put them in the bator (and they were laid) on 8/30/08. I am not sure if egg #2 will hatch, because it hasn't grown any veins yet.
sad.png
But I haven't given up hope yet!
big_smile.png
There is a small shadow in the slow growing egg though, but that could be the yolk. I will keep you posted about the eggs!!!!
fl.gif
wish me and the eggs luck!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

UPDATE:
also, my teacher and the class was doing an "egg drop" and she had leftover eggs that weren't used, so I asked her where she had gotten them and she said "at a farm stand". so I told her that I was hatching eggs in a bator, and she gave me two eggs!
big_smile.png
But I have no idea how old they are and so far nothing is growing. But i just wanted to experiment with them.
tongue.png

congrats and hope to see pics when the baby comes out. Your going to get addicted to hatching. I just turned my bator on today after sitting for 2 weeks. I cant stop this addiction! Problem I am having right now is should I hatch ducks first or chickens? I hate choosing lol!

thanks!
big_smile.png

yep, it is VERY addicting!!! I am already asking my mom to stop by this "Farmer's Market" to see if they are selling eggs! LOL
jumpy.gif

Definitely Eggciting! Keep us posted! BTW, what grade are you in (if you are allowed to post)?

I teach 6th grade and my students are freaked out that I have chickens and they lay eggs! I am going to have to bring in a couple of dozen, once the Delightful Dozen are laying, and cook up some huevos rancheros.
cool.png

Quote:
well, i won't tell my exact grade, but i am in middle school.
tongue.png

Quote:
well, i won't tell my exact grade, but i am in middle school.
tongue.png

and yes, i built the bator all by myself! LOL I looked up online and used Missprissy's bator as a role model for mine! (except I didn't use a cooler, i used a cardboard box/plastic box, and yes the temps. are quite steady! They are usually always in the upper 90s/101 degrees F. range.
big_smile.png

i may/may not be able to post pics.
sad.png
still have't got the hang of it!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom