OMG! It's GO time!

Littlechick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Mobile, Alabama
So tomorrow morning I will be a mommy to 25 little RIR's. I have the brooder built, and it's in the shed. I am putting them in a plastic container in the sewing room for the first few days. I have sawdust as the padding, covered by thick newspaper so they can't get it to. I have chick starter, water, and a lamp ready to go. Current temp in the container is 90 degrees, and holding for several hours. What do I need to do as soon as I get them home? Dip beaks in a sugar water mixture? 1/4 cup sugar to a quart of water? What should I look for? I've been reading like a loon, but I'm so afraid I'm going to miss something.

You shouldn't need sugar water. Just dip their beaks in regular water so they learn to drink and sprinkle food on the floor until they figure out the feeder. Have fun!

Make sure your camera is ready so you can photograph them growing up!

How exciting to be getting new little chickies!

The only thing I ever kept an eye out for is pasty butt. Possibly one of them could get it. Easy to fix be gently cleaning them up and putting a little bit of oil there (I use olive).

And marbles in the waterer are a really good idea for the first few days.

You don't have to have sugar water, but it wouldn't hurt them. I take the tops of the paper egg cartons and put the food in there. They can't get it every where and the food will last longer. Everything will be great, calm down and enjoy

I'm not sure that newspaper is the best thing for your brooder. I'm sure others will jump in and correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought that newspaper tends to be slippery causing possible trouble with their little legs.

It may be better to switch the newspaper with a layer of paper towels.

Good luck with them--I'm so jealous of you!
tongue2.gif

DBF has told me no more new ones til spring and its killing me!

Enjoy your new babies!
clap.gif

Becky

Back
Top Bottom