OMG my chickens ATE Mice, HELP!!!!

I was wondering what breeds they were since I have some that look the same but have no idea what they are. The guy I bought them from said they are Rhode Island Whites, but I don't think so.

I'm afraid I can't help you there. I have no idea what they are and neither does their owner. They're sort of medium sized but lay small eggs like I imagine that bantams would.

What kind of comb do they have?
Regular comb. Mystery hen looks like this. She has never laid an egg here, so I don't know what they look like.

She's white with a brown chest and belly and a little bit of yellowing around the neck. Big bird too, clean legs that are a grayish-white color.

Last edited:
Regular comb. Mystery hen looks like this. She has never laid an egg here, so I don't know what they look like.

She's white with a brown chest and belly and a little bit of yellowing around the neck. Big bird too, clean legs that are a grayish-white color.

Check out the Amberlink description.
In the reviews section.

This week we've seen our chickens eat a grass snake and an unfortunate bat with a broken wing. Our Australorp has acquired a taste for protein !!

My Husband moved a pallet in the backyard and there was a nest of mice babies. Before we could react my chickens snatched them up and ran. I'm so grossed out but I will get over that part. My concerns, can we still eat the eggs? Will the chickens catch anything? Sorry if my question is weird but I worry a lot and have a weak stomach! Thank you!

I'm almost positive that a great majority of people raising chickens today would be mortified at what chickens. Especially the urban ppl, the "back to the landers" and the "newbies"

My Nana used to hang rabbits in the coop in winter. The chickens would jump up and peck at them. Fat chickens don't lay well. Jumping is exercise. Wheat, oats and barley chop(kinda ground up together in a rolling mill/chopper like a mulcher)is fattening. Rabbits are protein.
My chickens would kill rats and baby rabbits(probably thinking they were rats bkuz they were rat sized) by beating them with their wings and pecking & kicking at them. The broody hens were the worst for this.
Fish as well is good protein. Nana would throw a fish in once in awhile. Actually my Pampa(grandfather) was the one to do that. He was a fisher as were many of his friends. Fish did not affect the taste of the eggs or the meat. At least not from what I can remember.

Over the years I have seen my chickens go to the discarded viscera(gut piles) of the animals(deer,elk,etc.)I have harvested. They would scratch around and eat all the bugs that came to feast on the gut piles. The chickens would even scratch around and eat some of the contents of the intestines and stomach. Even so much as to literally gobble down fly maggots that of course be present after a day or 2. The liver was a big draw to the chickens too. The rest of the flock would join in the feast.
It seems also that ducks are omnivorous. They apparently love liver. Geese are a tad pickier. I've never witnessed them to consume any kind of meat. Not even bacon bits.

My children are among the healthiest and strongest I have seen in many years.
So I think your birds eating mice is something that is absolutely NOT too much to worry about.
Our bodies as well as chicken's bodies are amazing tools of survival. So long as there is no lethal amounts of poison in the food consumed our body will usually utilize what it can and discard what it doesn't need or use. And free range chickens have access to greens that contain chlorophyll that is a very very good natural detoxifier.
I hope this helps alleviate some anxiety....... and ain't so long as to be boring.

Back
Top Bottom