OMG!!! My poor babies.....UPDATE!!!!!!!! at end of thread

chickie_momma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
I was in the basement and I heard the chicks squealing like crazy. I walk in and my DOG, the pekingese was in my 42 gallon brooder attacking my babies!!! :mad:

Some one must have left the door open!!

They seem to be alright- just flustered.

I feel like the orst chicken momma EVER!

Poor Mable was on top of the othe 4 girls with her wings stretched out trying to protect them.
sad.png

Last edited:
It happens, at least no one got hurt!

I almost burnt my brooder (and my house) down once! Darn heat lamps! Now I know not to trust the clamps and to always wire them securely to something non-flammable.

Think of it as a learning experience!

Mable is limping and one of the others is bleeding from the top of her tail...I need to clean it out and seperate them as soon as I find something to put them in......

Aww, dont beat yourself up. Some of our best laid plans have had small tradgedies. Maybe you can get one of those springs for screen doors, and attach it temporarily to the door, so it will close behind you when you open the door. They are cheap, and easy to install, just a few screws...and just as easy to remove....might help save a few lives.
I hope everyone is ok...and to your pup.....BAD DOG, NO BISCUIT! :mad:

hope they do okay! my four-week old EE survived a serious fox bite (punctures on neck/back/chest) -- based on the vet's advice I put her on antibiotics, and she's doing swell. I called the vet who said that canine saliva has lots of germs in it, so if it looks like a dog-tooth-puncture-wound and you have any poultry antibiotics handy, might not be a bad idea to put some in their water. (I got them for $4 from a local feed store, which was a lot cheaper than an $80 visit to the vet.) apparently they can get systemic infections, or the air sacs under their skin can get infected, or something...
best of luck!! I'm still not over the death of my little ones from the fox attack, it's so hard when they get hurt and you feel responsible...

Once my dog chased a hen all around the yard. She could have killed her, but we got there just in time. The dog pulled out tons of feathers and gave her some pretty awful cuts. she was fine in the end, though she shook for about a week afterwards... so glad no one was hurt. From now on you should hang a sign on the door telling people not to leave it open.

Atleast no one was hurt !!

A few winter's ago My brooder lamp fail in the chick pen and caught fire.. It almost burned the whole coop down. But some how, No one was injured.
hmm.png

Oh how awful!!
sad.png
I had a similar experience just today...my dog got loose from her chain, and she is a known chicken killer (hence the chain) she is a 7 mo. old german shephard. She figured out how to get into one of my hens' tractors..who has 18 chicks!! Luckily, no one was hurt, and all are present and accounted for...I'm just glad she found that one, and not the tractor that has my baby silkies and BTW japs...She would have proba:(bly killed all of them!! Just glad I decided to put the plastic back over the silkies and japs last night...

Back
Top Bottom