OMG My Sebbie Laid an Egg!!!

Jtn, I just read your reply to me regarding my geese. Thanks so much for your advice. We have the girls in a pen behind the gander. It was about 11:30 pm on Wednesday by the time we got the girls home, so they went happily in the pen and did well overnight. The girls could not see the gander or visa-versa because the back of my gander's pen had a tarp on it. On Friday we lifted the tarp so they could all see each other. Surprisingly my gander did not go crazy that the girls were there. Now just to add a bit more history, our gander is a rescue. We really know nothing about his background, but we strongly suspect that he was raised alone and dumped once he got so huge and possibly bc he does have an aggressive streak as I unfortunately learned (which does sadden me as he was so gentle the first couple of months we had him.) This is the one reason why I felt the need to give him other goose company. We planned to integrate them on Sunday but didn't. Today we will be out of town all afternoon & Wednesday I'm tied up in the morning. But I feel that after a week here, Thursday will be the day we will try and put them together. I'm nervous about it, but I'm praying they all get along well. Right now there is no signs of a thing. It's like each one doesn't even recognize the other is around and these pens are only about 4'apart so I know they all know of each other's presence by now. I'm taking this as a good sign:) I'll definitely keep everyone updated as we progress with these pairings.

Last edited:
You're positive she didn't have Toulouse on the yard or any mixes? You got both geese from her? The one that has gray patches is a Gray Pomeranian/Chinese or African mix.

This is what I Chinese goose looks like:

The one in the back of this picture is a Chinese Toulouse cross.

And no, putting them together right now don't be a problem, you'll just need to be very vigilant come breeding season and be prepared to separate/rehome/or get an extra female.
No, she only had the three geese. She hadn't had them very long and she didn't raise them herself from her own breeding stock. She decided not to keep them bc she was getting into a show circuit, and felt she needed the time for that. So she did the right thing in finding them all a good home. She passed on the info that was given to her about the geese to me. I am only interested in giving my gander company and bc he's a big goose, I wanted females that pretty well equalled his size, bc if they ever do breed I certainly did not want anyone hurt. And my number 1 objective was to obtain healthy animals.As far as their bread, it doesn't matter to me and I asked just to have the knowledge myself, bc these birds will be my pets only and hopefully down the road we will also have the benefit of eggs. I'm very happy with them, & I want them to be happy here too, which they seems to be so. They are very healthy, and actually they are quiet, too. If these pix are from your flock, they sure are nice looking geese. I really appreciate this help from you and the others here. Thanks so much.

No, she only had the three geese. She hadn't had them very long and she didn't raise them herself from her own breeding stock. She decided not to keep them bc she was getting into a show circuit, and felt she needed the time for that. So she did the right thing in finding them all a good home. She passed on the info that was given to her about the geese to me. I am only interested in giving my gander company and bc he's a big goose, I wanted females that pretty well equalled his size, bc if they ever do breed I certainly did not want anyone hurt. And my number 1 objective was to obtain healthy animals.As far as their bread, it doesn't matter to me and I asked just to have the knowledge myself, bc these birds will be my pets only and hopefully down the road we will also have the benefit of eggs. I'm very happy with them, & I want them to be happy here too, which they seems to be so. They are very healthy, and actually they are quiet, too. If these pix are from your flock, they sure are nice looking geese. I really appreciate this help from you and the others here. Thanks so much.

Jtn, on the gray Saddleback/Toulouse mix, are you referring to the pic of my gander, Loosey, or the pic of the gray goose in the back on the photo of the 2 girls? It was someone on the forum that told me Loosey is a Toulouse and possibly a mix. Does he look like your Toulouse? Would you be able to show me a photo of one of your ganders please? Thanks.

Jtn, on the gray Saddleback/Toulouse mix, are you referring to the pic of my gander, Loosey, or the pic of the gray goose in the back on the photo of the 2 girls? It was someone on the forum that told me Loosey is a Toulouse and possibly a mix. Does he look like your Toulouse? Would you be able to show me a photo of one of your ganders please? Thanks.

JTN was referring to the white goose with the gray patches

Carrosaur,she did mention these geese we got from her were both African and/or Chinese, but she also thought the gray one had Toulouse in her. She is only going by what she was told by the person she got them from. I believe they both were babies when she got them as they are only 7 months old now she said.
When is the breeding season for geese? Does it matter where they live? We are in South central CA. Our summers are very hot and we don't generally have 4 seasons. It doesn't snow here in winter and if it were normal here our winters consist only of rains and daytime temps run in the 50°range. But as you probably have heard CA is in a severe drought, so we've had hardly any rain. I didn't know if climate plays a part in a breeding season or not. My ducks, chickens and quail all breed now.

Carrosaur,she did mention these geese we got from her were both African and/or Chinese, but she also thought the gray one had Toulouse in her. She is only going by what she was told by the person she got them from. I believe they both were babies when she got them as they are only 7 months old now she said.
When is the breeding season for geese? Does it matter where they live? We are in South central CA. Our summers are very hot and we don't generally have 4 seasons. It doesn't snow here in winter and if it were normal here our winters consist only of rains and daytime temps run in the 50°range. But as you probably gave heard CA is in a severe drought, so we've had hardly any rain. I didn't know if climate plays a part in a breeding season or not. My ducks, chickens and quail all breed now.

Geese usually breed late winter into late spring but there is always exceptions including mine my youngest female last year began mating with my oldest gander when she was 4 months old so that was late Sept of 2014 way not suppose to happen lol but it did. I'd introduce your gander to his new geese through fencing for a couple days to a week just so they have opportunity to meet with out confrontation.

Forgot to say they are beautiful geese too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom