Omg omg omg eww, but what to do???

Nekhebet

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Erie
So I bought coturnix eggs from the worst eBay vendor ever, very close to 50 percent broken on arrival, and one that egg-sploded one week in, the day I finally gave neg feedback. So today hubby tells me another exploded, though be didn't bother taking it out after touching it, and that we should just throw the nasty rotten things out. I'm undecided, mad at mess since I have expensive breeder eggs in bator... So decide to deal with later. Well just checked serama test eggs, heard a peep and realuzed a quail hatched into the rotten mess!!! I pulled it out of the rot puddle but what to do now???? He is covered in reeking egg! I don't want to wash him and kill him but he is soaked in grossness. Omg what should I do??? I can set up a brooder pretty fast but should I wait for him to dry??? Not sure what to do, and as a bonus, my incubater smells!
sad.png

Ok, called quaillady( Ty Ty Ty), tried wiping him with warm baby wipes , then hubby rinsed him with warm water, dried him off a lil with a paper towel, may blow dry him. I really hope he makes it!!!!!!!

Quote:
i THINK i read somewhere on here that it's not good to blow dry chicks.....too traumatic maybe? i don't remember ....
sooooo sorry for your dilema!

Last edited:
Don't blow dry him, you will injure his eyes. Super heated air on a hatchling is not going to end well. Just place him near a brooder lamp or a forced air incubator to dry.

Quote:
Ok, I advocated the no blowing, hubby used the hair dryer on low though, so hopefully the little guy is ok.
fl.gif
His eyes are open and he is moving around a little. We are both so upset about this situation.
sad.png

Quote:
I hatched some chicks about a month ago for a friend, and a one of them for some reason decided to go swimming in the waterer. It was soaking wet, and almost drowned. I thought he was a gonner, but I went ahead and used the blow dryer on low to dry him off. He's still alive a month later! I did notice though while I was doing it that it bothered his eyes, so I did his face from far away.

I had never read anything about using a blow dryer on chicks, it just occurred to me as I held this little cold barely-alive chick in my hands that he needed warmth and dryness... = blow dryer! Since then I've found it works really well on late-hatching chicks. In the past I've had the older chicks peck on the wet non-fluffy new little chick's navels, but not anymore! I use a blow dryer to fluff up their butt fuzz!
wink.png

The Biggest Problem With Blow Dryers Is That Its A Very Fine Line Between Warming Up And Overheating, In Quail That Line Is Almost Microscopic. Many Have Used It With Success, But More Have Overheated Them And They Die Dispite Your Efforts. Seems As Tho Overheating Is As Bad As Hypothermia...

Back
Top Bottom