OMG Teenage Roos!

Well, he's in "jail" for the night to get any food out of his system so he can be processed tomorrow. I had enough of him harassing the girls, and he challenged hubby again. We tagteamed and I got him, and MAN, what a mad chicken! He's only 15 weeks, so there' won't be a whole lot of meat on him.

Everyone else seemed quite a bit happier once he was out of the pen. He of course is ticked.

good, really consider doing all of them. Roosters and small children are a risk. When she gets bigger, will be plenty of enough time to enjoy the whole rooster part of the flock. If she is attacked, she may never like chickens again.

Mrs. K :

good, really consider doing all of them. Roosters and small children are a risk. When she gets bigger, will be plenty of enough time to enjoy the whole rooster part of the flock. If she is attacked, she may never like chickens again.

I will, though at this point she is pretty tall (about the size of some 4 and 5 y/o's I know. The main reason for holding on taking them all out is I wanted to get to that 20 week mark, try to get some meat on them, but if they tempermentally can't make it, then dinnertime! The bad guy looks like he will only dress at about 2lbs or so, maybe a bit more.

The flock has been pretty peaceful since he's been removed, gotta say. I think they are happier without him.​

Last edited:
I had to kill a rooster yesterday myself. I have been the only caretaker of all my chickens. Peanut was a new hampshire and was 11 weeks old. He used to be a real sweet boy. He was the the friendliest but then he started starting up fights with the other chickens about 3 weeks old and then he started attacking me. Well he got my favorite roosters neck in his beak and my favorite rooster was gasping and that was that. My favorite rooster got attacked just because he stood between me and Peanut trying to protect me from Peanuts attack.

All done!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=378458

It actually went very, very well. He's in the fridge chilling
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom