OMG that pig meat is GOOD!!

The only time I have ever had fresh bacon was when I was a kid and my parents slit a pig with a friend of ours and she had it processed. It was not good at all, it tasted quite sour or rancid. I think the guy didnt know what he was doing.

DH keeps mentioning a pig to me but I have always said NO. Partly because of the bacon incident that I remember but the other reasons are our fencing he would have to reinforce, it would have to stay with the goats and I wonder how hubby would get it to the processor or even where to take it? I KNOW I would be stuck with a pet pig and I do not want that.

We get all our beef and pork chops from the local meat locker, so it is all local animals that are processed there. EXCELLENT quality, but they do not do bacon or ham?

Most farm butcher do curing; it's more the question of wether they know what they're doing or not. Most don't. They probably grew up on grocery store bacon and that's what they're trying to replicate. Our butcher is from Edinburgh, Scotland. He knows what bacon should look and taste like, not like the crap you get at Safeway.

What a great thread to inspire me! My neighbors and I have formed a 2 family "co-op" of sorts. I'm raising meat chickens on our property for both families, and come spring they'll be raising a couple of pigs for us to share.

I've had "real" beef and pork that my uncle raised in Missouri... nothing else even comes close! I hope we're able to achieve the same results. C'mon spring!

Quote:
How wonderful that you can do this with your neighbors. We raised 3 other pigs along with our own this past year. They paid for feed and we also got a fee for raising their pigs. It was enough to cover the feed bill for our pig and then some.

Since I right now lack the space for to raise pigs and cows I every yr go to the local 4h auction and get them there . Our county is reasonable priced due to it a poor area so I end up shelling out about 1000 for both a steer and a hog with processing. Its the best tasting meat Ive ever had!!!!!! So its sorta like growing your own???? Happy animals taste better I think .
Allie

I also can't grow my own, living in the suburbs, but I buy directly from the farmers. My pig farmers have pastured Berkshire hogs, that they have from farrow to finish. I love my piggy, I seldom eat conventional pork anymore. Have to get back to the farmer's market soonest. I also have a CSA for grassfed beef. Everytime I have the steaks I'm impressed by the quality.

Remembering my childhood farming experience (I worked on one as a kid); I'm glad I don't raise my own pigs. I remember them as being nasty escape artists that were to smart for their own good. My farmer had border collies too, and they were always needed when the pigs got out.

mom'sfolly :

I also can't grow my own, living in the suburbs, but I buy directly from the farmers. My pig farmers have pastured Berkshire hogs, that they have from farrow to finish. I love my piggy, I seldom eat conventional pork anymore. Have to get back to the farmer's market soonest. I also have a CSA for grassfed beef. Everytime I have the steaks I'm impressed by the quality.

Remembering my childhood farming experience (I worked on one as a kid); I'm glad I don't raise my own pigs. I remember them as being nasty escape artists that were to smart for their own good. My farmer had border collies too, and they were always needed when the pigs got out.

We've been lucky so far. (Where's the knock-on-wood smilie when you need it...) We had the three that we butchered, and have three more now (Tamworths) and are fixing to get three Berkshires. So far, nobody's escaped. We use hog panels and an electric fence.

How do you like the Berks? I've read everywhere that they are supposed to be the best.​

Berks....Yumminess assessment. Have you seen the commercial where the guy puts his tongue on the grill to get the last bit of A1 sauce? Well, the Berkshire pork I get from my piggy farmer makes this an almost reasonable thing to do. They make the most mouth-wateringly good pork I've ever tasted. I've bought pastured pork from other suppliers, but it hasn't compared in quality. I've been known to take toast to get the last of the pan drippings....no wonder I'm a "big" girl.

We raised a pig this year and I'll agree-nothing like it. The bason and hams are amazing, and the pork chops-finger licking good!
tongue.png

mom'sfolly :

Berks....Yumminess assessment. Have you seen the commercial where the guy puts his tongue on the grill to get the last bit of A1 sauce? Well, the Berkshire pork I get from my piggy farmer makes this an almost reasonable thing to do. They make the most mouth-wateringly good pork I've ever tasted. I've bought pastured pork from other suppliers, but it hasn't compared in quality. I've been known to take toast to get the last of the pan drippings....no wonder I'm a "big" girl.

Okay... This is me...
droolin.gif
Now I can't wait!!​

Back
Top Bottom