OMG!!! The girls are pooping roundworms!!!!! Help!!!

So, we have completed five days of the Corid and three days of safeguard. As of this evening no read stringy stuff in the Pooh! Hooray hooray!. I think she is looking better....

Now I am noticing that all four girls (one brown, two blue, and one green layer) have stop laying eggs completely. Is it normal for hens to stop laying eggs when they are being dewormed? It's also winter-ish here and we have significantly reduced day light hours. I am not forcing light in the coop and going o'naturiale ;)

This would be going on 2nd week since my green layer (with red stringy poo from six days ago) stopped laying. At what point should I expect her to get better and start laying again? I want to make sure to have a reference point that she is doing ok. (At one point in a winter past with my first flock I had a girl who stopped laying in the winter thinking it was normal, and come February she was put down by the vet due to egg yolk peritonitis.) would like to prevent that again! Sigh.

So, we have completed five days of the Corid and three days of safeguard. As of this evening no read stringy stuff in the Pooh! Hooray hooray!. I think she is looking better....

Now I am noticing that all four girls (one brown, two blue, and one green layer) have stop laying eggs completely. Is it normal for hens to stop laying eggs when they are being dewormed? It's also winter-ish here and we have significantly reduced day light hours. I am not forcing light in the coop and going o'naturiale
wink.png

This would be going on 2nd week since my green layer (with red stringy poo from six days ago) stopped laying. At what point should I expect her to get better and start laying again? I want to make sure to have a reference point that she is doing ok. (At one point in a winter past with my first flock I had a girl who stopped laying in the winter thinking it was normal, and come February she was put down by the vet due to egg yolk peritonitis.) would like to prevent that again! Sigh.
Glad to hear about the improvement!

How old are they?
There can be several reason for them to stop laying. Worms, reduced daylight, molting, etc.(link below).

I'm sorry to hear you lost one last year from EYP. Unfortunately, it seems to be very common in layers. What happens is egg/egg matter (sometimes along with poo (E.Coli) actually travels in reverse (up the oviduct instead of down), this egg/egg matter then drops into the abdominal cavity where it causes infection. A few things you can do to help them out would be keep their weight under control (not a lot a fattening treats) and provide clean water and sanitize/wash your water stations. Sometimes no matter what you do, they can still develop EYP.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/decrease-in-egg-production-causes.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/chickens-obesity-silent-killer-how-to.html
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...uctive_system/egg_peritonitis_in_poultry.html

Day five of safeguard...

No more worms in poop. But my green layer is still dropping intestinal lining so I am going to take her into the vet to figure out.

The blues and brown are good but looking skinny, so tomorrow they are getting probiotics, vitamins with some red cell, and I will be adding some feather fixer (18% protein) into their feed for the next week to ensure they get back on plan. (We already are Mixing DE, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper powder into their feed to prevent reoccurrence). Based on the above recommendation, in ten days from now I will give one more dose of safeguard to be sure. (Then thoroughly clean out coop and run).
In two weeks once their tummys have healed I will start adding ACV back into the rotation.

My poor green!!! She's my favorite!

Day five of safeguard...

No more worms in poop. But my green layer is still dropping intestinal lining so I am going to take her into the vet to figure out.

The blues and brown are good but looking skinny, so tomorrow they are getting probiotics, vitamins with some red cell, and I will be adding some feather fixer (18% protein) into their feed for the next week to ensure they get back on plan. (We already are Mixing DE, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper powder into their feed to prevent reoccurrence). Based on the above recommendation, in ten days from now I will give one more dose of safeguard to be sure. (Then thoroughly clean out coop and run).
In two weeks once their tummys have healed I will start adding ACV back into the rotation.

My poor green!!! She's my favorite!
hugs.gif
Good luck at the vet!

-Kathy

Vet is not sure if it was worms or not that knocked her down. But she found clostridium in her feces, so we are treating for that, and hoping for improvement.

Vet is not sure if it was worms or not that knocked her down. But she found clostridium in her feces, so we are treating for that, and hoping for improvement.
@JJ-- , what did he prescribe for that?

-Kathy

Last edited:
They said she was in good health besides this. So they are giving her Metronidazole 250 mg tablets. They cut each tablet into four pieces and I am to give 0.25 a tablet by mouth for ten days. Monitor signs for upset stomach and give lots of probiotics, and vitamins. Poor pumpkin. Of course now that I know this. I checked where my green layer was roosting as I am concerned my blue who is also dropping the red intestinal lining stuff (but looking still perky) may have this too....

Discovered the girls have been hanging out under the deck a lot due to a hawk. So they are in a nasty wet damp moldy gross area scratch for worms probably. I will be fencing that area off ASAP! Now to build a safe area for them to run.

I have read up on c-dif, and would be curious to know if anyone had girls recover back to normal

Back
Top Bottom