OMG they came early

chews chooks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
northhampton
my two chick arrived early how well will they cope with 6 hours a day on there own exept most weekends
also i have done my research but know there here i am realy nervous now that they are her please run me through all thi stuff ineed to know and some interesting things that arnt essential also if you want ill put some pics of them on what does it mean if they are peeping loudly

I only free range mine when I'm home. How old are they? Do you have them in a brooder for them if they are less then 5 weeks?

Warmth, food, water.

Make sure they are warm but not too hot. If they are peeping really loudly they are uncomfortable for some reason. They could just be afraid of the new surroundings. If they are pileing under the heat lamp, they may be too cool. If they are in the far corners away from the heat lamp they may be too cold. Adjust accordingly.

Water: Dip one or two of them (their beaks) in the water so they know where it is. The others will follow by example but if you see one that looks lost, dip it too to make sure.

Food: Just provide it. They will find it.

Good luck!

okay, just re-read the post. Are they babies or full grown? My assumption was babies.

Last edited:
yes chicks babies 1 week on a brooder look comfotable with the heat they are eating and drinking but peeping realy loudly probably suroundings however they are jumping and flapping about they have started to develop wing feathers at 1 week normal ???

Yes, their feathers grow in amazingly fast. Soon you may need somekind of screening on top of the brooder (if it is open) to keep them in.

I would say if they look comfortable and are eating and drinking they are probably just vocal birds. Some breeds talk more than others. Try sneaking in on them sometime and making sure they are sleeping resting quietly. If they hear you coming their peeping may just be excitement.

BTW don't be surprised if they look dead while they are sleeping! They sleep in some wierd positions at that age.
lau.gif

Yes, their feathers grow in amazingly fast. Soon you may need somekind of screening on top of the brooder (if it is open) to keep them in.

I would say if they look comfortable and are eating and drinking they are probably just vocal birds. Some breeds talk more than others. Try sneaking in on them sometime and making sure they are sleeping resting quietly. If they hear you coming their peeping may just be excitement.

BTW don't be surprised if they look dead while they are sleeping! They sleep in some wierd positions at that age.
lau.gif
I've woken mine up from time to time just to be sure they're alive! It's like they fell mid-step and went right to sleep! LOL

Back
Top Bottom