1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG, They Got Me..............

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lockedhearts, Jan 15, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    The Evil Silkies that is, as of right now I have 3.......[​IMG]

I never in my life thought I would have any but thanks to Chickenhamm and my chicken enabler, Pumpkinpup , I have them now.

Nothing like driving 450 miles round trip for Chickens, it's all about the Chicken Math........

I will try to get pics tomorrow!

They are such sweeties!

I got 2 Pair of Buff Polish too!

Yep, I am beyond "Chicken Obsessed"

I think I have gone "Overboard" [​IMG]

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Ummm...I'm right there with ya. I'm making the drive to pick up my Silkies on Monday [​IMG]

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I am sure you gone Overboard :[​IMG]

Omran

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Ahhh, another victim of the silkie domination. It warms my cold heart. [​IMG]

5. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I just ran out to the barn and checked on my brooder chicks, I had just moved some from the house out there and am worried they are not warm enough tonight. I have 3 lamps in there, well the Wee little Silkie is sitting in the middle of the youngest chicks and they are all trying to snuggle against her, she has one under each wing! [​IMG]

I am so in trouble with these guys now!

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

There must really be something to that whole concept. When I first saw a pic of them, I was singularly unimpressed. When I first saw LIVE ones, my mouth said "oh, they're ADORABLE!" while my ears heard that and my brain said, "Huh?" Now the more I look at them the cuter they are, and I find myself looking & doing a double take at any post that has "silkie" in the title. I'm afraid I may just have to have some of those darling little buggers... I was gathering the bantam (bbred) eggs the other day and caught myself musing, "I wish I had one of those broody Silkies everybody keeps talking about that I could pop these under"...

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:That sounds like what I saw last night. I went to close the henhouse door & do bed check & head count. What I saw just melted my heart. My big RIR roo Sarge was up on the roost board (WIDE boards about 1 ft. wide; lots of sitting/plopping/cuddling room). He was balancing on one foot b/c one of the RIR hens was trying to scoot under him, he had both wings draped down out to his sides and under each wing was one of the younger guineas, heads far back under the wing in the nice warm spot, and his wing feathers draped down their sides, keeping them as toasty warm as possible. He is SUCH a good boy! Have I mentioned lately how much I love him? [​IMG]
    I'm going to HAVE to start carrying my camera out to the run and chicken house. [​IMG]

8. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Yep, you might as well go ahead and get one or a dozen then. I may end up with more, Robin and I will assess the situation tomorrow. She kept several at her house, I just brought home the ones that I had seperated.

9. It is necessary to acquire enough silkie birds to create the

SILKIE PILE

This aboration consists of at least 10 silkie birds, any size, color or sex.

They tend to form a "pile" in a corner of your barn or coop.

Other birds then tend to join in on this phenomenon.

They find the "silkie pile" a soothing, warm and apparently
    a safe place to spend the night.

No one really knows what goes on in the silkie pile.

It is still a mystery, even the ol' nasty roos eventually find the
    SILKIE PILE.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:[​IMG] oh that is so dang true! The "silkie pile" lololol Too good!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by