OMG! We saw something!! But, is it normal?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I have eggs under broodies and eggs in the bator. Since my DH and I have agreed that we suck at candling, we had decided not to candle eggs anymore and just let what happens happen. I check the bator daily for bad smells and yes, I even sniff my broodys eggs.
roll.png

The eggs in the bator are due to be locked down later this week and late last night I couldn't help myself. I got the urge to candle.
So we candled and OMG! I saw something! A definite chick-y shape.
jumpy.gif

However, the chick appeared to have its back to one side of the shell, kinda like what you often see on an ultrasound of a human fetus. It wasn't centered in the shell, but took up most of the shell from end to end, long ways.

Is this normal? The eggs are due to hatch on Friday, the 28th.

TIA
smile.png

Quote:
It was exciting! Keith laughed at me because I was jumping up and down excited.
tongue.png

I am going to absolutely freak in the turken/cornish X egg hatches! (I'm afraid to candle it).

Thanks y'all. Time for me to put on my armored suit and go deal with my silkie broody.
hide.gif

Quote:
It was exciting! Keith laughed at me because I was jumping up and down excited.
tongue.png

Oh, trust me, the very first time I saw actual development in an egg, I was SO like this little smiley:
wee.gif
(After putting the egg back very carefully, of course.)

Now I just wait for the rush and warm feeling as my heart rate increases and I THINK about dancing like that smiley. But I want to run around all excited, every time!

I'm so very glad you've got development showing!!!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I know what you mean. I am on day 13 with my first attempt at incubating. The only flashlight I could find on day 3 was running low on batteries so wasn't very bright. I tried anyway and saw a dark blob but didn't know if it was just the yolk. So on day 10 I went out and bought a nice little maglight and candled that night. I still saw a dark blob but then it moved! I was really excited to know something is happening.

Okay now you are as bad as me I have hatched many fuzzy butts but still I'm like a child with a new toy. So step away from the bator and go find something to put your hands in. Or just do what I do and go to the barn and watch the babies in action. Mu hubby tells me you are the only one I now that cries when a new baby chick or puppy is born. I say so I'm just a sucker fo a cute face.
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom