1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG! What a Suprise!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Momma_Cluck, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    I gather eggs twice a day.. once in the Morning at 9am when I let the girls out for the day, then I only get a few since it's so early; then I gather again at 7pm when they go in for supper & bed... that's when I get the "main haul" of 18- 24 .

Last night, about 20 minutes after the girls went in for the night, My daughter came running to the kitchen "mom! Somethings wrong with the chickens! One is making a really strange noise- and the others are freaking out!"

I opened the back door to listen, and could tell SOMEONE was having a hissy-- but I have a couple who do that every time they lay an egg... and of course- the rest have to get involved.... so I wrote it off.

I went to get the 1st eggs this morning-- and WHAT A SUPRISE!!!

Can you see it???

Find The Suprise!
    [​IMG]

A Mix of Rock, Americauna & Silkie eggs
    [​IMG]

WOWIEEE!!!
    [​IMG]

It's a Big UN!!! Weighed it up at 97 grams as compared to 2 large Rock eggs weighing 122 grams!

[​IMG]

2. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I get a few a month like that, isnt it a wonderful suprise!

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

is it a double yolk?

4. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    poor chicken! But good eats for you! Is it a double yoker?

5. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    That's gotta be a double yolker, hmmmmmmmmm, if you set it would you get a two headed chicken?[​IMG]

6. Momma_Cluck

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    this is even bigger than the double yolkers we get from our turkens!
    I am gonna "open" it in such a way as to try to preserve most of the shell intact....

will post a photo of the "innards" if it works!

[​IMG]

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    so... was it a double yolker.

8. Momma_Cluck

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Certainly was!
    And not like the usual 2-yolkers I get-- they usually have 2 smaller than usual yolks-- these yolks were bigger than those in my Big Rock or Turken eggs!

Unfortunately, I broke one while opening the shell- but kept the shell pretty intact! Was surprised-- 1/2 expecting another shell inside, or a real thick shell-- it was surprisingly thin! I drilled a couple holes in it and used a razor blade to cut it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

had to see just how big it was-- so cracked a good sized Turken egg in here-- WOW! those WERE big yolks!
    I am SURE it is from one of my turkens!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. horsecrazy

horsecrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    central CA
    Quote:18-24 eggs??!!! OMG how many chickens do you have? Ihave 10, get about 2 eggs daily!! granted half of them are probaably too old to lay anymore...lol chicken menopause

10. Momma_Cluck

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    I have5 Banty hens and 21 Regular sized Hens (many breeds)

They are in a well insulated coop that stays above 45f all winter, and has lights from 8 am to 7 pm... I did lower the amount of light to just 1 60w bulb... and turned off the heat lamps... so am now "down" to 18 a day!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by