Omlet Eglu Thread

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y'all!

I recently got the Omlet Eglu Cube mk 2 with a 13 foot run (they free range in good weather) for my 3 standards and (hopefully) 2 bantams. I wanted to see who else had one, and what you like and dislike about it!

My one hate about it is the darn RUN CLIPS. My index finger and thumb hurt for 2 days after I finished building it.

Hope to get some responses on this thread!

This will be our first summer with Omlet coop and my chickens did well in the winter. We have two types of coops in their area and they prefer the Omlet. My only concern now is summer and heat and wondering if anyone can ease my mind about the Omlet not getting too hot inside in summer. I placed them in a covered run so there will be protection from sun during the day and there are trees planted all around too.

Upinrunnin, I just got an Omlet as well and have this question - I'm thinking that maybe putting some ice in the coop when it gets very hot might be a good idea to help them keep cool?

I have the Eglu Up and the Eglu Cube. The Eglu Up was a (new) hand me down from a family member. I had my 5 EE chicks in a coop in a 10x20 run and could see that after a year, there was no more fresh greens for them so I needed a portable unit. I inherited the Eglu Up so put it together and gave it a go while I made additional plans. The Up is very crowded for 5 birds. The old 10x20 run (which cannot be moved) is now fertile ground for a flower garden.

I then ordered the Eglu Cube and their largest walk-in chicken run with plans to move everything every 6-12 months around my property. The Cube arrived about a month ago. The walk-in run should be here sometime this month. No word on when the adapters will be available so I see some "MacGuyvering" hours in my future.

I have another 5 hen chicks & 1 roo chick arriving on the 10th. After a few weeks in the bathtub, I'll use the Up for them while I wait for the walk-in run to arrive.

If you are considering either of these units, spend the extra for the Cube. It is so much easier to keep clean. The nesting area is separate & the tray below the roost area is deeper. I can throw pine shavings in and go 3 weeks between cleanings. With the Up, I had to clean every 3 days.

The photos are a bit of an unfair comparison...the Cube is right after cleaning...the Up is in it's currently disgusting dirty condition. I got the inspiration to come here and share this info after the quick effortless clean of the Cube and the now dread I have going to go clean the Up...lol.

Attachments

• Cube.jpg
    Cube.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Up.jpg
    Up.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 124

Back
Top Bottom