On being a responsible pet owner - (rant)

Quote:
Bee, i agree with you.
I'd rather (anyday!) see a dog put down then to let it suffer somewhere..whether that be stuck in shelter cage for 10 yrs..or dumped on a road to starve and freeze and fend for its self.
sad.png

I'm sorry you made the decision to spay your pet that you regret so much. There are ways to have puppies, but circumvent unfair restrictive laws. Moving would have been my first choice or simply registering as a breeder. Perhaps in the future you will have a dog that you can breed.

As far as the neighbors, all dogs should be kept safe and have decent medical care and housing. Hopefully they will find good homes for the puppies. Some of the best dogs in the world are mixes. Simply being a mixed breed doesn't make her a low quality dog.

I'm sorry that you and your dog have to pay for other people's irresponsiblity.

Those force spay/neuter laws (along with tail docking/dew claws laws) really bother me. Obviously, it does NOT stop irresponsible behavior.

...but don't get me on a rant about the trend of needing to pass another law.
roll.png

Quote:
I call that down in the dumps feeling after spaying a nice dog "spayers remorse" and I have had each and every time I spayed my dogs. I know I can produce well behaved behaviourally healthy and sound puppies but what I dont know is what happens to each and every one of them after they go to a new home. No matter how well you screen or what kind of puppy contract you have with a new owner you always wonder if they are really doing right by YOUR puppy. At least thats the way I always feel so even though I get spayers remorse I still do it. You did the right thing even though it feels like your missing out

I have always owned cats and dogs, for over 40 years; I have never bought one. All have been abandoned animals, and almost all have no doubt been mixed breeds. I always neutered them, with a couple of exceptions, and I had no problem finding homes for the litters in those cases. I would never pay money for a pup or cat. Way too many out there who need homes.

I have come to feel that mixed breed dogs are much more likely to be good pets and easily trainable than purebreeds. I have had a couple of dogs who appeared to be pure labs, though. I have one now, and she has a lot of medical problems: never dealt with this stuff, like seizure disorder and leg joint problems, with any of the mixed breeds.

The current 4 dogs and one cat do not bother the chickens, some of them hunt and kill rats/mice, and certainly they discourage fox and coon and such from bothering the chickens. I have a small flock that is true free range and have had no losses for nearly a year, despite the local population of such predators.

Quote:
we got her off craigslist. She is smart but pretty fearful. When we got her she was not leash trained it took about a day and a half.

Last edited:
When my daughter was younger she had a little friend down the street who's parents just irritated me to no end with their irresponsibility. They had two female dogs and a female cat. Over the course of 2 years they had their 4th litter of pups on the way as well as a litter of kittens (that poor kitty got pregnant on her first season). Well the 4th litter of 9 pups came and they all were placed at a no kill shelter. She didn't even bother trying to put an add in the paper or craigslist so what do you want to bet that most of those pups are still at that shelter without a real home.

Last edited:
Quote:
Bee, i agree with you.
I'd rather (anyday!) see a dog put down then to let it suffer somewhere..whether that be stuck in shelter cage for 10 yrs..or dumped on a road to starve and freeze and fend for its self.
sad.png

I agree with you both there is no way a no kill shelter will work.

Back
Top Bottom