? on creating a new breed...........

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenlove2009, Nov 9, 2009.

1. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    IF I mixed a delaware( white/columbian) with a buff orphington and mixed the babies with a delaware and ended up with a gold delaware and its babies looked like the parents would that be a new breed of delaware?

any answers/thoughts are welcomed and thanks

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Are you already working on this project and done any reasearch on it? To begin with it would take several generations to get the Delaware type, to be able to call it a pure breed, that is if it will work at all. If you cross a Buff roo with a Dela. hen, that should give a sexlink and I'm not sure what you would get the other way around. I'm not completly sure the Delawares are considered colombian, since their black is Barred. Maybe some one else can help you better than I can.

3. chickenlove2009

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    no i haen't started yet... just wante to know if it was even possible .... it would be so cool though.

thanks for replying

4. chickenlove2009

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    i know that you have to cross it with something else for the possibility and then you would have to cross it back and end up with the same results multiple times for it to be "pure bred" and i know that it would take a while.......a l o n g w h i l e......... [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Well I am doubting that it will even work and if it does, it would take a long time, as with all project varieties.

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    LOL we posted that at the same time. You should PM Krys109uk and see what she can tell you about it, she's my "go to person" for genetics questions. Or she may come along here soon.

7. chickenlove2009

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    k. thanks if she doesnt reply first i will e-mail her, cause that projest would definately be something i would be interesting in starting

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes that would be interesting, if you do start it, be sure to keep us posted with your progress.

9. Chief

Chief Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I would suggest searching for a chart on line breeding. You would have to be very selective as you cull your birds, and make your pairings. It is my understanding that it takes at least five generations of line breeding to achieve true "pure bred". And really to get them right you'll probably have to do two separate unrelated line breeding tree's. Then try crossing the pure generations from each tree with each other to see how pure they really are. I've not had much experience with the line breeding but I've been reading up on it. I'm thinking of trying to come up with my own pure Golden Duckwing Old English. Good Luck.

10. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by