On day 3 of trying to hatch an egg in my boobs

Pics
I've got 19 other eggs cooking, I'm sure at least one will hatch ;)
Thank you! I was told by two people that baby should fill the whole shell, however I looked up YT videos of silkie eggs being candled at day 14 and my baby at day 16 was far bigger and filling more of the egg than the day 14 videos. So I'm guessing he's not too far behind, if at all. I've shoved a warm wet rice filled sock in my boobs as well, and am being VERY careful not to move.

On what day does an internal pip usually happen for silkies?
Yeah, the baby should not fill the whole shell. There’s an air sac, too. At the big end of the egg.

The spiderwebbing crack pattern that's been there since start of incubation appears to have failed, I'm not certain how it happened since egg never got hit/squeezed, but the shell is broken there. However, the membrane is intact and baby is still moving. I've repaired the crack with a bit of masking tape and may add a bit of coconut oil later to keep it from drying out.

I'm scared for baby :( I've literally been sitting still all day long, so no idea why/how this happened.

The spiderwebbing crack pattern that's been there since start of incubation appears to have failed, I'm not certain how it happened since egg never got hit/squeezed, but the shell is broken there. However, the membrane is intact and baby is still moving. I've repaired the crack with a bit of masking tape and may add a bit of coconut oil later to keep it from drying out.

I'm scared for baby :( I've literally been sitting still all day long, so no idea why/how this happened.
Maybe just maybe that might be signs of pipping but who knows

As long as the membrane hasn't been punctured, it could still be okay. I would leave the masking tape off so it won't have issues if it starts to hatch, but the coconut oil may be a good idea if the membrane is exposed.

Maybe just maybe that might be signs of pipping but who knows
It's not, trust me. It's in the wrong place, it's barely day 18 and the ding looks...well, dinged inward, not pushed out like with a pip.

Baby is still moving and kicking, and thankfully the membrane is intact. I will be redoubling care for the remaining few days.

As long as the membrane hasn't been punctured, it could still be okay. I would leave the masking tape off so it won't have issues if it starts to hatch, but the coconut oil may be a good idea if the membrane is exposed.
I plan on removing it as soon as external pipping occurs. The masking tape isn't anywhere near the air cell, so that should not hinder anything, right?

I plan on removing it as soon as external pipping occurs. The masking tape isn't anywhere near the air cell, so that should not hinder anything, right?

Correct, toward the pointy end shouldn't hinder hatching as long as it gets in position for hatch properly.
People have used all sorts of things to cover cracks. I just did an experiment in my last hatch using wax. The chick made it all the way to some day between 15-17. I have heard great things about using nail polish and I'm trying that on a small crack in my current hatch. Tape has also worked. Bacteria getting in through the crack is a bigger threat but fortunately it's close to hatch so it's less likely to succumb hopefully! :fl

Correct, toward the pointy end shouldn't hinder hatching as long as it gets in position for hatch properly.
People have used all sorts of things to cover cracks. I just did an experiment in my last hatch using wax. The chick made it all the way to some day between 15-17. I have heard great things about using nail polish and I'm trying that on a small crack in my current hatch. Tape has also worked. Bacteria getting in through the crack is a bigger threat but fortunately it's close to hatch so it's less likely to succumb hopefully! :fl
It's already in position. He's all snuggled up to the air cell, wiggling a little but not like he used to...not as much room to move in there I guess. Is there something I can do to keep bacteria away from the crack? Other than continue to change the tissue paper he's wrapped in?

Back
Top Bottom