On day 3 of trying to hatch an egg in my boobs

Pics
Baby's head and neck look and feel really swollen, squishy and soft... Her stomach looks normal but also feels incredibly squishy. The yolk was close to fully absorbed as was the blood.View attachment 2113556View attachment 2113557View attachment 2113558
It's normal for the neck to be swollen. That's how they get spring action to zip out. The belly is also usually soft and swollen from absorbing yolk. Looks like it suffocated. I've had that happen in the incubator.

It's normal for the neck to be swollen. That's how they get spring action to zip out. The belly is also usually soft and swollen from absorbing yolk. Looks like it suffocated. I've had that happen in the incubator.
Is there something I could have done? I tried to remove the membrane from the nostrils when I noticed baby seemingly gasping for air but it didn't do any good :( (she didn't bleed at all)

I do not want this to happen to my quail as well...

Is there something I could have done? I tried to remove the membrane from the nostrils when I noticed baby seemingly gasping for air but it didn't do any good :( (she didn't bleed at all)

What I do is clear away a bit of shell and wipe the nostrils with a qtip if I think they don't have a clear airway.

I'm sorry for your loss. She made it really far, though, and that's not easy.
I hope that the quail come out okay.
Mmnngh... now I'm worried about my boobegg... actually, I probably would anyway.
Come on little boobquail! You can do it, little ones!

Last edited:

In this case there isn't anything you could have done at the point of hatch. It's from some type of bacteria. As Mylied mentioned, it is normal to see swelling in the neck. This is from a fluid that fill the neck muscle to give the chick strength to hatch. It's also normal to see a slightly swollen abdomen from them absorbing the yolk. When it's that distended and discolored it's from infection though.

Back
Top Bottom