On day 7 using Acidified Copper Sulfate for doughy crop. Need more advice

Gayle R463

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2015
Knoxville, Tennessee
Hi. I'm Gayle, a newbie starting in May, 2017 with 4 hens in east TN. This will be lengthy, but I've tried to follow BYC guidelines for the best info I can provide you right now. A pic before current crop issue to follow if I remember.

1) Photo will show You Guys the breed, but name still unknown to us. Guessing: around 2 yr old. Guess wt. loss more than 1 1/2-2 lbs & thinner, esp based on a sister of same breed, who hasn't yet developed gold coloring much beyond her neck area.
2) still active, curious, tail feathers up when outside. Can't remember name of red on top, sorry, but it is Now a paler red and slightly bent.
3) How long symptoms: about 14 days now. I'm mortified it took me way too long to recognize the doughy crop. I had been feeling their necks on R side all along, every morning first thing when greeting them, though not down far enough closer to the breast.
4) Other birds: No
5) Injury, trauma: No
6) Cause: Unknown on the crop, but could have been a compost issue. We have our share of long grasses, but this doesn't feel like that. Also unknown laying issue which began with higher temps in June, when she had an 'oops' egg laid against the outside of the run. For days after that she would try to lay in nest box for a long time; then began having rubber eggs 3x's a week. No fully formed eggs since then - in July. I wasn't yet up to speed on lube up of her butt, though I am now with various issues with 3 of the 4 hens. 3 of 4 hens Did Not Lay once until weather cooled somewhat!
7) What eating or drinking: Prior to my starting treatment, it was layer and ACV water; h.b. Chop egg (1 for the 4 hens in mornings, occas. dried mealworm, some black oil seed early months. They free range mostly all days except when I have to be out. And, they were about 2/3 through with Strike III added to feed.
8) Poop quality: for a long period, diarrhea type, med. brown, loose, like consistency of yogurt. Sorry for the food reference. There's one more I won't say. After a time on ACV it became normal for a while, but then poor again. Latest before crop I.D. Was slimy liquid with white residue also. Poop while on Acidified Copper Sulfate became more solid dark green, some white & liquid. The dark green looked hard like hosta seeds.
9) Treatment: as we had a long 5 day or more wait for online order of the ACS, when TSC, farmers co op & others didn't carry it here, I started with (a) stool softener over h. b. egg for 2 days & massages when I could catch her. I studied multiple times, various treatment plans on BYC site & others, trying to decide what would be feasible. (b) that mixture of bak. soda, ginger, etc. No Go! I wasn't ready to force feed and she wouldn't eat it. Elim. the ginger & cinnamon - No Go! (c) Coconut Oil - 1/2-1 tsp, 3 x's day. Crated her on Day 1, began hourly 5 min. massages. Today is Day 7 of ACS/water. Honestly? With her rapid wt. loss, I was Leary of the "No Food" & couldn't do it. Gave her only tiny amts of warm h. B. Egg. And she began drinking more and her poo better. Bits of arugula dropped in her water to get it wet. Day 4 started tiny amts sardines/oil.
10) Intent for type of treatment: I'm on my own for all options, so it's limited. Can't afford UTVet clinic outrageous costs for the desperate ones among us. I will not do surgery.
11) photos: will post a pre-crop pic
12) Housing/ Bedding: run has fine flake & leaves. Coop hard wood flooring then thick layer larger flake, cleaned each morning. For her crate: newspaper layers, some shredded, then large flake. The fine is too dusty.

Her crop has shrunk significantly, and is still doughy before first massage/water of the day. Crop size slightly larger then golf ball size, though it becomes very maleable after that first a.m. massage. She is less tolerant of the water now & I worry about why. I'm forcing liquid now mostly, but she still resists it. Hard to do get her to stop jerking away even holding her waddles. And, I'm worried that even by Day 10 there may not be an empty crop. Forgot: by Day 4, when crop was very squishy & I could easily hear contents & the water, I tried the 'turn her upside down close to the ground, while massaging' repeatedly, but still have not been able to get anything to come out via her beak. Have kept trying, though.
I'm getting overwhelmed & more anxious & worried. And there's still the mystery of initial issues for her. All said, I would be most grateful if anyone has hope or suggestions for us at this point. I plan going to Day 10 and then???
Already this site with so many generous & compassionate people have given me hope and much practical advice all summer! You have my gratitude & respect.

IMG_3885.JPG

Hi. I forgot to say hens have had oyster grit all along & eggshell grit for about a month. On Days 6&7 Of ACS i also gave her tiny eggshell. Finally tonight, she drank more on her own.

Back
Top Bottom