On my way to getting chickens.

I hope you enjoyed your time here, it is beautiful that’s for sure! And yes the seafood is the best! Where did you visit?
We stayed a night on a farm in Antigonish, then drove to Cape Breton and did a bird tour at Big Bras D’Or and stayed a couple of days in Baddeck, then to the Bay of Fundy and stayed a couple of days in Digby, then to Yarmouth to get the ferry to Bar Harbor. Interestingly, the kids and I all were struck by how much central Nova Scotia resembles East Tennessee geographically. Rolling, rounded mountains and very, very green.

Hello from East Tennessee. My husband and I bought a piece of land in the Appalachian Mountains and are going to build a home in the woods in 2022. I am planning to raise some chickens and a couple of ducks there - just layers at first - and I joined so I can be researching before I start. We’ve partially cleared an area for the chicken yard and I plan for us to put in the coop and the run mid-2021 so that we are ready to go when the next spring rolls around. I’m enjoying reading all the threads and gathering ideas for predator-proofing and so on (I had no idea raccoons were so vicious!) I’m having a hard time waiting and am driving my husband a little nuts with my constant talk about the future chickens. 😆 I look forward to getting to know folks here and learning from others’ experiences.
:frow Welcome @Appalachickens , from New Orleans. Glad to have you with us, and Glad to hear you are doing your research ahead of time.
If you wish to give your husband a break, you have come to the right place, as we all love to talk fowl, and other things all day long. Find a thread that interests you and just jump in. I can't wait to get updates on your progress and find out what types of chickens and ducks you plan on getting. Will you be getting pullets, hatching eggs, or chicks? Can you have a rooster and are you planning to provide your own continuing stock as you go along?
We also enjoy stories and pictures.

We stayed a night on a farm in Antigonish, then drove to Cape Breton and did a bird tour at Big Bras D’Or and stayed a couple of days in Baddeck, then to the Bay of Fundy and stayed a couple of days in Digby, then to Yarmouth to get the ferry to Bar Harbor. Interestingly, the kids and I all were struck by how much central Nova Scotia resembles East Tennessee geographically. Rolling, rounded mountains and very, very green.
You definitely hit some beautiful areas, I love Cape Breton. We are in Chester Basin on the south shore, situated between Halifax and Lunenburg. If you ever come back you definitely still have lots to explore!

:frow Welcome @Appalachickens , from New Orleans. Glad to have you with us, and Glad to hear you are doing your research ahead of time.
If you wish to give your husband a break, you have come to the right place, as we all love to talk fowl, and other things all day long. Find a thread that interests you and just jump in. I can't wait to get updates on your progress and find out what types of chickens and ducks you plan on getting. Will you be getting pullets, hatching eggs, or chicks? Can you have a rooster and are you planning to provide your own continuing stock as you go along?
We also enjoy stories and pictures.
Thanks! I will start posting photos when I begin putting my coop/run together. Right now the area has been cleared, but I'm waiting and amassing supplies (got some hardware cloth delivered yesterday!). My plan is to start with day-old chicks/ducklings so I can have them here in the house and move them out when they are old enough that spring. There are no rules out there, and lots of neighbors have chickens and roosters wandering on the road. And goats, for that matter. so having a rooster is allowed, but I haven't decided yet. I'm leaning toward getting one. I want to keep my options open to given myself time to figure out what works best for me.

Back
Top Bottom