On of my chicks isn't growing at the same rate, is it normal?

WingedFish

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 17, 2012
I have 8 chicks, all a week old and each a different breed. One is a Golden Campine, and she's still small while the others are almost twice her size. They've also got adult wing feathers already while you can barely see hers starting. She seems to be eating and drinking just fine, so is this just a late bloomer situation? And/or is she destined to remain smaller?

Campines are a smaller breed. They are kind of between the size of a bantam and a large breed chicken.

This. Depending on what your other breeds are, she probably is likely to stay smaller. Some breeds mature fast, others are s-l-o-w. If she's eating, drinking and pooping I wouldn't worry about her ;)

I kinda figured that. I guess since she isn't the only small breed in the group (there's also a Polish, who'll be about the same size) it seems weird. Not to mention I've had a Golden Campine before and she wasn't all that small (to my memory anyway, it's been a few years). But like you said she could be taking more time to develop, like a Jersey Giant for example. I suppose as long as she acts normally and doesn't get picked on I've got nothing to worry about.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom