On puppy watch...Update! They're here!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sred98, May 9, 2009.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Our Boston Terrier is due for puppies ANY day now! Today is about day 63, her milk is in, her stomach has dropped, but no nesting, yet! [​IMG] I checked her temp today and it was 98.7 so I thought I would be seeing her "getting ready". This is her first litter, and we know she is pregnant. You can feel and see the puppies, so it is not a false pregnancy.

I am just going nuts sitting here waiting for her. I haven't left her alone since Thursday. She runs errands with me, or I make sure someone is here. We just went and moved the horses, and I thought that I would get a call from my DD saying she was in labor... [​IMG]

She looks like she is about to literally P-O-P, and she doesn't want to be alone, but she usually wants to be in the middle of everything. LOL!

Anyway, I just had to share. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! Why can't she just have the darn puppies?!?!?

Shelly

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    I totally understand. I came home to my nesting baby. 3 am and shes in labor. 8 babies and several hours later and I get to go to work without any sleep. Arg! But they are so cute!

3. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oh how exciting! What kind are yours?

This is probably her one and only litter. We really love this little dog, and so does everyone that meets her. All of the puppies are spoken for already. That is why we decided to breed her. We had requests and discussed it, and decided to do it. In fact, there are probably more people wanting pups than there will be pups! LOL! These are going to family members and the lady who the stud belongs to. She'll be spayed after weaning.

This is just really nerve-wracking! LOL! I'm sure she'll do fine, but I want to be there in case she needs me. She mothers all the chicks, but especially the geese. In fact, after the massacre last month, she wandered the woods every time she heard a bird peeping! So, I know she's got the maternal instinct. [​IMG]

The entire family is sitting around watching her! LOL! I just can't stand it! LOL!

Shelly

4. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    LOL farcusgirl! I had read your post about your pit mix earlier, but didn't get a chance to respond! [​IMG] That is too funny! Here's hoping that our puppies will share birthdays! [​IMG] You've got a Pit that thinks she's a Boston, and I've got a Boston that thinks she's a Pit! She won't back down from anything, but sweet as can be! [​IMG]

Shelly

5. sanctuaryworker

sanctuaryworker Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Sunshine State
    whats your bostons name? I love bostons, we have a male boston who will be 6 in November his name is Ditto. If you have time post some pics of your new babies!!!!

6. PattiXmas

PattiXmas Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Shelly, I have bostons and my female is here because her mother died while delivering the pups. I don't want to scare you, but a lot of times, bostons have trouble whelping. If you are positive about your dates, you might want to consult a vet and have her checked out. Most bostons require a c-section. The man that owned Kipp's mom neglected to do his homework and that is the reason that I hand raised Kipp and her sister and the mom passed away.

Best of luck to you and your baby.

7. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Hi all! Still nothing. I did get up in the night and move her to the whelping box because she started whining and pacing, but it was a false alarm. [​IMG] She went out this morning, with some convincing, then came in. I noticed her food was empty (Darn CAT! [​IMG] ) So I filled it up for her. She went over to it, sniffed, then walked off. [​IMG] Soooo...I am thinking today is the day! [​IMG]

Patti - Thanks for the warning! That is one reason why we aren't leaving her alone. At the first sign of trouble...off to the vet! There are emergency clinics open today, and they are only about 20 minutes away from us. DH and I were both Vet Techs when we were younger, so we know what to look for.

Right now, she is resting beside DH in bed. I'm keeping an eye on her, but she's been so whiny during this whole pregnancy, it's hard to tell when anything is going on, or she's just shifting position. LOL!

Her name is Ruby. She is a red and white Boston. She is one of the best dogs we've ever had. DH and I didn't like Bostons. Period. Been around them, never cared for them. When this red one became available, I knew my MIL wanted one desperately, so I got her. She lives 7 hours away, so she had to stay with me a week before I could take her down there. By the middle of the week I knew I would never give her up. Told DH she was leaving the house over my dead body! When he got home, he fell in love, too. She protects us from killer frogs and squirrels. [​IMG]

I'll post updates and pics when anything happens!

Shelly

8. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    We breed schnauzers, and I know right right where you are, hehe
    Once, she was taking so long , we attempted to "walk her into labor" , it worked [​IMG]

We thought we would try it since doctors walk their patients up and down the hall sometimes to get the labor in action, we tried it on our big mama [​IMG]

9. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Hey we were in your shoes about 5 weeks ago. It is agonizing. I heard some one say "a watched b***h never whelps" My girl decided to whelp while I was at work. I hope you enjoy your pups as much as I have. I would keep all 5 if DH would let me. Good luck to you and your girl. [​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    One of the most graphic dog-killing-chicken episodes I ever saw involved a Boston Terrier.

I fear nothing good can come of this puppy business... oh dear. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by