Once a month tick and flea treatment for dogs

Chickn chick 46

Songster
10 Years
May 22, 2009
What do you use? I have been using Frontline plus for years and this season have had more trouble with it not working as well for ticks. I found two enlarged ticks on the dog a few days apart. Looking back at when I last applied Frontline it was 10 days earlier.

Emma was sick last week, limping around, coughing, and not eating very well, as well as just not feeling like her perky happy self. I thought maybe she had hurt herself chasing a squirrel. I took her to the vet and they did a test for lyme, heartworm and something else. I can't remember. The lyme came back positive.

Shes is feeling much better, thank goodness, after starting on the antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds. I just bought a 6 month supply of Frontline last month, so I'm stuck with it for awhile, but I'd like to try something else in the spring. I need something that works for both fleas and ticks

Any recommendations? A cousin of my husbands swears by Advantix. I'm not sure that is for fleas as well

Thx!
frow.gif

I don't use any of it. I use DE on my dog and cats. I've had no problem with fleas or ticks for 2 years. I do use HeartGuard for heart worms though.

PS had a old neighbor swear by sulfur. He would feed his dog a couple of heads off wooden matchsticks every day. Never had fleas or ticks

Last edited:
Well for any of them to work the dog still has to get bitten. So I recomend getting the lyme vaccine on top of whatever monthly flea control. Advantage, sentinal, advantix...... (some are a hw/flea prevention) All work ok also. Stay away from Promeris. I used a free sample of that stuff the drug rep gave me and I could smell the overpowering stuff for two weeks after application. I also got headaches from the smell!!!!!

Well if someone highly recommends something (I'm going to give the DE a shot), please PM me the suggestion. Frontline Plus did NOTHING for the fleas this year for my 2 dogs and 3 cats. I'm switching to something else next spring as well.

Doesn't work for ticks, but we've been really pleased with the once a month Comfortis tablets we get from the vet. We haven't had a tick problem *knock on wood*
Since our cats are inside only, we chose to only treat the dog and haven't had a problem with fleas on him or the cats since we eradicated all the fleas to start with and put him on it.

I have tried Frontline, and K9Advantix before and they don't work on my dogs, I have no idea why. Im use Dandruff shampoo on my dogs which works for Fleas, and for dry skin, Ceila has sensitive skin. Im just pulling out ticks every week. YUCK!

I really need something for ticks because our backyard is alot of woods which she likes to dig around in. They seem drawn to her. I have used the comfortis for fleas and it works great I will say that. I live on Cape Cod which is a hot spot for lyme ticks, so a strong chemical is something I really need for my area.

keep them coming I'm interested in hearing others experiences.
smile.png

We switched over to the Adams spot on stuff. Has been working GREAT for the dogs this year. Found it at walmart for $14 a 3 pack. Only complaint? It stays oily for a day or 2 and you can't use it on the cats.

We've been using Revolution for a few years and also found this year to be especially awful. We found MANY ticks on the dog that were attached and enlarged. We too are in Massachusetts. We have been using an all natural spray when we find them which works fabulously! The only downside being that when they drop off they bleed out all over the carpet!

Back
Top Bottom