once you are getting eggs do you...

Quote:
I love reading posts like this when you see just how much we all have in common with this hobby...from Woodmort starting the thread that is still going like wildfire about smelling your chickens to reading about how other people stare at their birds first eggs.
lau.gif
It's nice to see that I am not alone in these quirky actions.

I stare at my first eggs with great facination and excitement that they are finally starting to lay. It is even more exciting if it is one of my blue or green eggs. Then I can't wait until the next morning to eat it! Its always nice if a few birds start laying on the same day so I don't have to fight with my kids over who gets to eat it.

We all make fine company
lol.png

Insane people generally tend to collect in one place.

You would have thought we won the lottery when we got our first egg. I still remember - Dave came running into the house
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
"B, we got our first egg" We stared at it for a while, put it in the fridge and waited for 3 more then we ate them. Yummy!
clap.gif

I leave the day's collection in a basket on the counter so I can stare at them all day then put them away before I start dinner.
smile.png

I'm still excited about every egg.

Quote:
I do the same thing! My family thinks I am completely insane but I feel like a little kid at Christmas everytime I head out to the barn to gather the eggs. I have nesting boxes but I also have old feed bins, large livestock feed buckets and milk crates filled with hay and scattered around the stalls for them to lay in. It's always exciting to find that one has started using them for a nest. Kind of like an adult Easter egg hunt.

I also put them in a basket on the counter. When I get ready, I do a mass washing, put them in cartons or boil them. Just this weekend, I washed 2 cartons worth and boiled a dozen as well. YUM!

When I gather the eggs, I admire each one and notice the little speckles that are new, or the slight changes in color - today I had one that almost looked like the color was overlaid in bands! - and then I keep them in a nice wire basket on the counter so I can admire them more.

I put specific eggs into cartons to sell them, always trying to make as colorful an arrangement as possible. My best customers get TWO green eggs and TWO very dark eggs out of each 12, and the occasional customer gets ONE green egg and maybe two really dark eggs with the rest of their dozen. When Millicent Lakenvelder was laying, I also put two white eggs into each carton.

I always thank the girls for the eggs, too. Today I was lucky enough to see - for the first time, ever - one of the girls LAY an egg! It was Delilah Delaware.

Back
Top Bottom